This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, June 11, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday--Vacation Edition

This week for Annie's Time Travel Tuesday we are taking a trip back to...a favorite trip!! I was inspired to suggest this because Annie's daughter is traveling this week and to the location that brings back some wonderful memories for me--Canada!

Right after my graduation my seven members of my French class took a trip to Canada, chaperoned by my French teacher and several of her friends--at least one of whom was another teacher. If my (old) memory serves me, there was a chaperone for each student. Pretty fair ratio, there. Our supposed intent was to flex our extensive French vocabulary. I had taken three years and most of the other girls had at least two years of French. (I'm the one in the back on the far left.)

This trip provided many firsts. My first plane travel, my first time east of the Mississippi, my first (and only) trip out of the country. Lots of memories.

We flew to Toronto. We shopped until we dropped. We ate wonderful food and saw the sights, including the CN Tower. I truly don't know how much it has changed but I marveled at what a clean, attractive and seemingly safe city Toronto was. I actually have Canadian friends who lived there who say it is wonderful--but big.

We next took a train ride to Quebec, mostly to see Old Quebec. The train ride was probably my favorite method of travel. And Old Quebec, it was quaint and charming, but very, very, decidedly French.

Now we were an older group and pretty responsible, but somehow our chaperones were convinced to let us take a bus back to the hotel--alone. Somehow we got on the wrong bus. And we were the only ones on the bus. And our bus driver (I'm sure overhearing our conversations) had NO intention of speaking English to us--although I remain positive his English was far superior to my French. When he (and we) figured out we were not going where we wanted to go, we tried to ask him how to get to where we needed. He was very kind. Very patient. But... Refused. To. Speak. English. And I got nominated to do the talking. He got through to me that since we were there to learn the language, as well as see the sights, this was going to be Crash Course Francais 101. Somehow we got directions and the bus number we needed, and changes to the right bus. And arrived finally at the hotel. Whew...I don't know that I planned on exercising my French THAT much!

My favorite place in Quebec, in the old city was Notre-Dame-des-Victoires. Several of our group attended Mass there on Sunday morning and it was a testimony to the fact that Mass is Mass and we could follow along quite well. Our French was at least that good. What a blessing for our trip.

We took a day trip, north, from there to St. Anne de Beaupre a beautiful shrine.
Then off to Montreal and another day trip, via bus, to Niagara Falls. I don't know how anyone can see a wonder like this and not be stirred. Creation proclaims our Father. The power and beauty there were inspiring.
We spent a couple days in Montreal. Two places that I was struck by were Notre Dame de Montreal Basilica, a beautiful cathedreal.
And L'Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal which includes a huge Stations of the Cross that goes up a steep hillside.
Canada was full of beautiful old and inspiring architecture. It was a culture shock without leaving the continent and left me with lovely memories. Visit Annie at My Life as Annie... to find more Tuesday Time Travelers. Thanks Annie!!

19 comments:

amy said...

What nice memories!

DebD said...

what great memories and I loved the pictures.

Jodi said...

What a nice memory! The pictures were great! Have a great Tuesday!

IRENE said...

This is so nice! Thank you for sharing the links, it was really like travelling.
Have a beautiful week.

Sara said...

Quebec is a beautiful place, I need to get there one day ( I live in Alberta )
Mine is up

annie said...

Loved your bus story! My oldest daughter Amanda (16) is headed to Canada right now! She is going to Montreal and also Niagara Falls.

Barbara H. said...

What a fun trip! That's so funny about the bus driver -- but I imagine it was frustrating at the time.

Overwhelmed! said...

Wow! How wonderful and you've got some great memories to savor. I love the pictures you've shared! Thanks!

KC said...

What a wonderful trip for you. I too got lost in old Quebec. I went there on week long French club trip when I was 16 years old. We stayed in this really nice old hotel right inside the walled city. It was so much fun. At that point I had only had 2 years of high school french and it was interesting trying to get around and talk with the people.. We did bus tours here and there and everywhere during the day and then was left on our own at night to go where we pleased on foot as long as we made it back by lights out. One of those days we went to Montreal also. One of these day's I'll have to post pictures and tell about that trip.
Thanks for letting us travel though time with you.

Irritable Mother said...

I love the story with the bus driver! I wonder if he was thinking, "This will be fun to teach these girls," in a helpful or cynical way. Hmmm.

Renee's Ramblings said...

Great story with the bus driver! The pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Leni said...

I'm betting that bus driver once had a daughter your age and felt fatherly in making you speak the language! LOL!

Penless Thoughts said...

Oh I so enjoyed your trip!! How wonderful to go at such an early age and use your French. I think the bus driver did you a great favor!! I have been to all the places you mentioned except Montreal. We saw the Stations of the cross at St. Anne de Beaupre up the side of a hill behind. I loved Old Quebec, the Provincial Capital and all the history. I agree about Niagra how can anyone see these great things and not believe in God is beyond me.
Susan

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

What a great trip! I have never been to Canada, but now I want to go!

Sheryl said...

What gorgeous pictures! What a neat graduation trip!! How funny about the bus driver....looking back, are you glad he pushed you like he did?

Scribbit said...

That architecture is something! What a fun trip.

Jenileigh said...

Wow you have been so many places. I enjoyed reading about your vacations. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!! Its great getting to meet new people!

Kelli in the Mirror said...

What a great trip and fabulous memories!

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hi julie: fun post and memory experience. the bus story would've freaked me out a little. reminded me a little about something that happened to me long ago.

~glad you got to where you needed to safely so we can share in your joy today, kathleen :)