This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, October 29, 2007

Children's Book Monday

The Vase of Many Colors
by Rachel Thoene

This lovely book that I received last week is a sweet parable about how God can take our ashes and create beauty. It is a book about restoration and love. It is more than a children's book, it is a family book. I can think of about four or five mommies that I know who would love to read this to their children--hmmm...gift ideas, anyone?

Rachel Thoene paints a picture that includes all of us, who sometimes get so caught up in the moment we become a little careless of the fagile things around us. And she also shows us a wise grandmother who is not so attached to the things of this world that she overlooks the precious heart of her granddaughter.

The bright and simple illustrations by Christian Cinder are sure to keep young listeners focused.

Children's Book Monday is hosted by Elise at A Path Made Straight.

4 comments:

Scribbit said...

That sounds like a great story, perfect for the upcoming holiday season, I'm always looking for things like this.

Anna said...

Well, you have caught my attention with this book! I can't wait to check it out from the library.

We recently did an inter-library loan with an entire stack of yours and Elise's book reviews from the past few months. Thanks for the recommendation for "Tornado" - it has become a hit with our 4 year old for reading aloud!

I really liked "The Hundred Dresses" as well, and will probably save that for a year or two down the road.

Thank you!
Have a great week!
~Anna

susiej said...

I want to check that out. I love the Hundred Dresses.

Leah in Iowa said...

I wonder if she is Brock and Bodie Thoene's daughter? Do you know? I love their writing also!