This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Fall Into Reading Review

The Divine Appointment by Jerome Teel


Mr. Teel has created a fast paced novel that kept me guessing for quite a while. And even after the facts are starting to become clear it was a race to finish the book so I could “see” the hows and why’s fall into place.

This political suspense drama is worthy of a prime time script. Mr. Teel’s characters are immediately riveting. He begins with a Christian lawyer who is so involved with his career that he is missing the joys of family, two young female lawyers one who is establishing her career and the other making tragic choices, an arrogant, self-sufficient and successful cardiologist who is bent on ruining his marriage, a young investigative reporter, a senate majority leader who doesn’t surprise me, his assistant who doesn’t surprise me either, a president who most certainly does surprise me, and wives. Four wives who never meet, but who are all connected by and influence the other players in surprising ways.

The worst thing about The Divine Appointment was that it left me unsatisfied with the reality that screams daily from our newspapers. I believe there are "real live"people who believe as some of the "heroes" in Mr. Teel's book believe. I just wish they'd step up to the plate and run for office and fight the dragons that hide in the halls of our politcal system.

The Divine Appointment was suspenseful and exciting. It kept me reading into the wee hours. I could not put it. down.

This is a book that I received from a book "blog tour" and if you would like to read an interview with Mr. Teel you can look here.

I read this for Katrina at Callapidder Days' Fall Into Reading Challenge. She's got lots of readers participating and writing reviews. Check it out!

3 comments:

Renee's Ramblings said...

Great review! I'll have to see if I can get a copy and read this. Thanks for the review!

Sonya said...

I received this last week! Thanks so much! I had two wisdom teeth removed the day after receiving it so I haven't had time to thank you yet. I can't wait to read it! It'll be next in line and I'll be sure to pass it on!

freetofly said...

I believe there are "real live"people who believe as some of the "heroes" in Mr. Teel's book believe. I just wish they'd step up to the plate and run for office and fight the dragons that hide in the halls of our politcal system.


Julie, I so very much agree. And I don't think we are alone in our feelings here, which you so well said.

The best thing we can do (besides our part as voters) is pray, every, every day.

Maria