This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thursday Thirteen--Flowers


A long time ago I had a beau who thought it very proper to send red roses. For every thing. Every. Thing. Let me tell you...it IS possible to get bored with red roses.

So with Valentine's Day is drawing near there are other flowers that exist and are possible to send. If you send something other than a rose, what are you saying with the flowers you send?

Thirteen flowers and their symbolism:

1. Gardenia--joy (a favorite sentiment here!)

2. Black-Eyed--Susan encouragement

3. Daisy--innocence

4. Lilac--first love

5. Sunflower--adoration

6. Carnation--pink gratitude

7. White Chrysanthemum--truth

8. Hydrangea--perseverance

9. Orchid--delicate beauty

10. Baby's Breath--festivity

11. Lavender--distrust

12. Statice--success

13. Ivy--fidelity

Say that you've decided roses are a must for sending--what does the color you are sending say?

1. Red Rose--deep love, romance and passion

2. Light Pink Rose--admiration, joy and sweetness

3. Dark Pink Rose--gratitude or appreciation

4. Yellow Rose--happiness and warmth

5. Lavender Rose--love at first sight

6. White Rose--purity and innocence

7. Orange Rose--enthusiasm and energy

8. Coral Rose--desire, passion

9. Cream roses--richness, perfection

10. Peach Rose--friendship or admiration

11. Burgundy roses--Unconscious Beauty

12. Red and White roses sent together--Unity

And then there's the Finale Bouquet:

13. Dead Roses--well...this kind of speaks for itself...When you care enough...to say it's through.

Here's hoping your flowers are well received or that you receive well...


Visit the TT Hub for more Thursday Thirteen.

Technorati tags:

16 comments:

Miranda said...

Great list, happy TT!

pussreboots said...

Two years ago my husband gave me a rose bush. It was the best Valentine's gift. :)

Happy TT.

The Happy Housewife said...

Great list, I love flowers! Daisies and hydrangeas are my favorite.
Thanks for sharing!

Hootin' Anni said...

I never heard of sending anyone dead roses before. Your top list is quite interesting....didn't know these, I learned something here, thanks for sharing your insight.


I have the Thursday 13 of the Chinese New Year this week. Hope to see you there for a visit.

luvmy4sons said...

That is great. Thanks for the info. Do you think if I pass it on to hubby it is too strong of a hint? LOL! Actually he has already given me a lovely red sweater coat! Might post a pic over the weekend.

Heidi @ GGIP said...

Oh, how interesting. I personally would prefer a variety of colors instead of just one.

Sandy Carlson said...

I didn't know that about lavender! That's one of favorites. I am happy to say I have never received dead roses, though I could pay plenty for them in a craft store!

Carey said...

Great list. I love flowers. I always tell me hubby he can get ma any kind...they are all pretty, he says but theres nothing like red roses.

TheVasquez3 said...

i have a deep distain for red roses. mostly because i think they are the most pretentious of flowers AND because i think all too often a man thinks that sending red roses is "sending the best". well men out there listen up...sending the "best" is sending the girl her favorite flower. if you don't know her favorite flower try sending a bouquet of her favorite color..don't know that either? hrmph..i have no more advice for you then...do your homework i guess...

when i was single..and had my choice of men (true statement) i would seriously dump a man for sending me red roses...yep i was shallow, and perhaps single for a reason...live and learn. BUT i married a man who took the time to do his research and find out what my fave flower is and he sent them weekly...yep...happily ever after is made up of this stuff!

new to Thursday Thirteen. poking around other participants, trying to broaden my bloggy horizons.

sorry for the long post...i didn't mean to hijack your blog like that...just chatty i guess!

ttfn

Babystepper said...

Thanks for all the info. Now I've got to get my man to start buying flowers. =)

Laura said...

A beautiful flower heart too. :)

theysaywordscanbleed said...

I love receiving sunflowers

Bloggers said...

that was a cool list.

freetofly said...

Julie, I am so sorry to hear this (I know that is selfish). But I am happy for you if it puts you right with God & your family.

I just want you to know that you have been on my mind especially this past few days. I was just popping in to say hello, and saw your note up above ion the box.

Balancing blogging with the rest of life, is a fine line for me too. So I understand a little maybe.

God bless you! & Refresh you during your bloggy break! :)

Maria

Jenileigh said...

Beautiful flowers!

Coach J said...

Ha! Dead roses. I hope I NEVER get those!!
I do have an orchid by my sink. My hubby has gotten me two of them over the years and they hold a very special place in my heart. I'm glad they made the list ;)