This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, June 6, 2008

I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say

Matthew 11

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.


I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say

I heard the voice of Jesus say, “Come unto Me and rest;
Lay down, thou weary one, lay down Thy head upon My breast.”
I came to Jesus as I was, weary and worn and sad;
I found in Him a resting place, and He has made me glad.

I heard the voice of Jesus say, “Behold, I freely give
The living water; thirsty one, stoop down, and drink, and live.”
I came to Jesus, and I drank of that life giving stream;
My thirst was quenched, my soul revived, and now I live in Him.

I heard the voice of Jesus say, “I am this dark world’s Light;
Look unto Me, thy morn shall rise, and all thy day be bright.”
I looked to Jesus, and I found in Him my Star, my Sun;
And in that light of life I’ll walk, till traveling days are done.


Words by Horatius Bonar, 1808-1889
Music: Kingsfold; Traditional English Melody arranged by Ralph Vaughn Williams




I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say has other melodies associated with it. The Kingsfold Melody is my favorite. This melody also goes with these words by Louis F. Benson


O Sing a Song of Bethlehem

O sing a song of Bethlehem, of shepherds watching there,
And of the news that came to them from angels in the air.
The light that shone on Bethlehem fills all the world today;
Of Jesus’ birth and peace on earth the angels sing alway.

O sing a song of Nazareth, of sunny days of joy;
O sing of fragrant flowers’ breath, and of the sinless Boy.
For now the flowers of Nazareth in every heart may grow;
Now spreads the fame of His dear Name on all the winds that blow.

O sing a song of Galilee, of lake and woods and hill,
Of Him Who walked upon the sea and bade the waves be still.
For though like waves on Galilee, dark seas of trouble roll,
When faith has heard the Master’s Word, falls peace upon the soul.

O sing a song of Calvary, its glory and dismay,
Of Him Who hung upon the tree, and took our sins away.
For He Who died on Calvary is risen from the grave,
And Christ, our Lord, by Heaven adored, is mighty now to save.

5 comments:

Renee' said...

What a beautiful song! Just stopping by to say "hi". Hope y'all have a great weekend.

freetofly said...

Ohhhh! Love this! What a sweet refrain to have playing in my head and heart thanks to you!

May God continually bless and refresh you and your family my friend!

Maria

Barbara H. said...

That is one of my favorite hymns, and he sings it beautifully. I had not heard of "O Sing a Song of Bethlehem" -- quite nice!

luvmy4sons said...

Wow! What a beautfyl song and a beautiful voice...and the lyrics...so awesome. A great find and so glad you shared it! It blessed me today.

Jenileigh said...

This was beautiful!