This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years Ago Today...

...I was the mother to a thirteen month old and an almost four year old. We lived in a teeny tiny town out where the sandhills start, about ten miles past nowhere. I think seven years ago I got up at about the same time as I did today--later than I planned. The boys and I were walking daily with a friend of ours; and after getting them ready we went downstairs to watch something Barney-ish. But instead we found devastation on every channel.

My friend arrived, not having turned on the television that day. I let her in and we sat and watched and cried in disbelief as the terrible day unfolded. I called my husband to see if he knew what was going on. I called my family, nine hours away. I called almost all my friends in my phone book that day, just to hear their voices.

Seven years ago, today, for me at least, the world changed.

We are grateful no one we knew was lost that day. But people we knew were shaken. Men my husband worked with were in one of the Towers the day before. The brother-in-law of woman I walked with was in an office building so near the World Trade Center that he saw people falling, and even jumping to their deaths.

At the time it seemed like nothing would ever be the same, but as with all life people moved on and things kept happening. But today we stop and remember. There aren't very many moments that I remember exactly where I was when something happened somewhere else in this world. But I remember where I was "When the World Stopped Turning."

God bless the heroes who were there seven years ago today. God bless the heroes who are there everyday for all of us. God bless the heroes who serve in our armed forces, who fight for freedom.

Where were you seven years ago today?

2 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

I was reading to the boys and the neighbor who also home schools came over to tell me to turn on the TV. I couldn't believe it. I called my other home schooling friend and we watched together over the phone as the first tower fell. We never did finish school that day. We watched history in the making. But by evening I felt it was no longer good for my boys ages (12,19,7 and 5)I will never forget. May we all never forget. God is sovereign!

Kim said...

I was getting ready to go early morning walking too! With my best friend. She was just about to my house, when another friend of ours called and told me to turn on the t.v. The rest of the day was spent watching (and taping for my husband to be able to see when he got home from work). I still have those tapes and every couple of years I pop them in. I was homeschooling too, back then. I had a 9 year old at home and a 6 year old. My oldest daughter was at community college and my oldest son was attending school at our high school. I remember feeling like I didn't like all being spread apart during the height of stuff playing out. My 9 year old was a little aware of something bad happening, and my 6 year old was thankfully able to remain oblivious. I kept the t.v. on in my bedroom, where I was taping, but the door remained shut and I would pop in every so often and check on what was happening.

I also remember when I went out that night to run an errand, being so aware of the fact that there were no planes overhead. We live about 20 minutes from SeaTac Airport and we can always see planes. When there were none, it was eery.

God Bless America and may we never forget--
Kim