This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Grains of Gratitude and an Award

What a wet and wearing week! I thought I might mow the lawn for my husband while he was away, but that proved impossible in all the rain. I’m going to have a jungle to mow when it dries. That said, there is much to be grateful for, and I am very grateful for:

Safety in storms. We’ve not had near the horrible weather that has attacked Texas and other southern states, but Friday night we were away from home when the tornado sirens started wailing. Thankfully for us, there was no tornado in our vicinity and our home was safe when we returned. It was very stressful. We continue to pray for the victims of Ike and all who have been affected by this year’s hurricane season.

Protection for my husband. He is on the road and sampled some chicken wings at the hotel he was staying at. Apparently he didn’t eat too many, but was subject to some food poisoning which subsided in less than 24 hours. Unfortunately some hotel guests had to visit the local ER because their bout with salmonella was more eventful. My guy seems to have recovered and has a few good meals and a better night sleep under his belt, so I think he will be fine.

Flexible children. The boys accepted the news that their father would be gone longer than planned better than I thought they would. Part of his being gone meant their plans got changed and they had to accompany me on attending to things that needed to be addressed. They accompanied me to therapy I mean Hobby Lobby, and were very patient at looking at paper and beads. We ventured down the model and science kit aisles also and that helped. I found a couple ways to reward them that they weren’t expecting and they were quite happily surprised.

New friends for the boys. Roo met a boy a couple years older than him this summer. We hoped he might join the boys at the ballet school and things worked out so he could. What a great young man! He and Roo seem to have hit it off and he is smart and has many of the same interests as Roo, he’s nice to Boo also (not all friends are nice to little brothers). He is homeschooled and so has some of the same experiences as Roo does and he has a sweet younger sister who…

Has become friends with Boo. She’s a year older than he is, in fact she’s just about in between both my boys. But she has an easy going personality and she and Boo have found some common ground and really enjoyed each other’s company. There was a wicked storm that rolled through while we were waiting for the older bothers’ class and Boo was really upset (storms really stress him out.) This sweet young lady found things to distract Boo and they rode out the tornado sirens and heavy rains together. Her mom says she doesn’t like storms either, so I think she bucked up the courage to help someone more afraid than herself.

Old friends that remain. Last year was a struggle with a few friendships, but blessedly both the boys and I have had a few friends remain true. One particular mom and her children we get to see twice a week now, where last year it was only once a week. Both children get along with both boys and watching the four together is a treasure.

Another longtime friend graciously watched the boys for an afternoon when I had to be gone. She is a new mommy and so she and her baby girl (my god daughter) and the boys watched sign language videos together. I guess they had a great time.

Blogging friends. You know who you are. Your blogs are like a special greeting card from a friend. My sweet and transparent friend at Do You Weary Like I Do? gave me this lovely award--which I would give right back to her.

The rules were:

* Display your award.

* Link back to the person who gave you the award.

* Nominate at least 7 other blogs.

* Put links to those blogs on yours.

* Leave a message on the blogs of the people you've nominated.

* Enjoy your award!

I could never limit the blogs I love to seven, every blog on my side bar gives me inspiration, joy, hope, laughter, renewed faith, a fresh view--I'm sharing the award with all; but here are seven who bless me daily:

Renee at 2 Peas in a Pod (even though she got the award already). She blesses me!

Heidi at God's Grace in Practice. Her blog title says it all.

Annie and Izzy at Pray for Izzy!. Annie has another blog that I love too, but at Izzy's I lost my heart to this precious girl. Their courage has been inspirational.

Gemma at searching and pondering. Gemma tells it like it is and has been so supportive to me as I'm daily fighting with weight loss.

Linds at Rocking chair reflections. I somehow don't picture her in her rocking chair (although she really should rest her knee more!!) and truly enjoy a trans-Atlantic trip each time I read her blog.

Carrie at Quite the Normal Life. I don't know about the "normal"--she has quite an eventful life, but I always feel like I'm visiting someone I've known for a long time when I stop by.

Christine at Brady's Bunch. Christine is the originator of Grains of Gratitude. She needs to know that this award is for both her and darling Brady who also stole my heart from the first time I visited them.

Whew! What a long post! Thanks if you made it through.

My prayer for each one of us is that this week is filled with "an attitude of gratitude."

Prayers!!

Julie

6 comments:

Kim said...

What a wonderful post and what a lot of things to be grateful for! I am so sorry for your husband though--food poisoning in a hotel room, not my idea of fun!
I hope you have a great week.
*smiles*
Kim
oh, just wanted to add that I think Sarah Palin is awesome too! shhh....

Donna said...

They gave those tornado warnings for the county west of us (Jackson) and the county east of us. We had no warnings, for which I'm grateful. I take those a little more seriously now that I live in a trailer house.

Your area probably received more rain than we did, but our totals are nothing to sneeze at: two inches on Thursday and Friday, and almost three inches Friday night through today.

Heidi @ GGIP said...

You are too kind! Thank you very much. I can't believe it about the food poisoning! Goodness!

annie said...

Thank you Julie! We ♥ you too! :)

Carrie said...

Aw, thanks Julie. You are so sweet.

Renee said...

What a beautiful post! Glad your hubby is feeling better. It's no fun being sick, especially away from home.

Thank you so much for blessing me with this award!

Have a wonderful week!