This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, May 22, 2009

Contrasts

I am used to falling asleep & waking up to the sounds of the nearby highway; motorcycles, jarring sirens, hot rods, smooth running cars, garbage trucks. It is a shock to fall asleep to almost total stillness and wake to the birdsongs. I love the country.

The boys have had their first encounter with recently born kittens. Lots of Benedryl, but apparently worth it. Fresh air, come and go in and out as you please. A far cry from having to keep an eye on them constantly, even in our own backyard.

No need for air-conditioning. Lots of breezed to cool the house. What a concept.

Small town, slow traffic...use the turn signal? Why? Everyone knows where you are going. Shop keepers, bank tellers know your name (and maybe your business?). A far cry from the anonymity of city dwelling.

Need to find the camera.

5 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Sounds wonderful! Blessings to you sweet sister...

Carrie said...

As a child, I loved going to visit my grandparents in their small town. One thing that was so different to me was hearing women refered to by their "married" names. For instance, my grandmother was Mrs Joe G______ instead of Marie G_____. But I supppose there was a certain economy to it. Everyone knew right away who she was married to and who her family was.

Renee said...

When we lived in CA, the last town we lived in was really small. Just like you described!! I miss it sometimes.

Sheryl said...

I love (and miss)the country and small town life.
Enjoy every minute of the peace, simplicity, and beauty :)

Stay At Home Mom said...

I am a country girl and I love the fact that everybody knows everybody. And you are right, you get this feeling that you are safe in a small community. I honestly don't think I can last too long in a big city.