This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Grains of Gratitude July 5, 2009

Happy Sunday! It turned out to be a gorgeous day here. I am so grateful because friends from church invited to boys to their house to have lunch and go fishing. They invited my husband and I, too, but we know they really wanted to see the boys! ;^)

What a special day. The boys had not really fished before and each caught three fish (threw them back too--yay!) and ate waaaaaaayyyy too much sugar and were all in all spoiled rotten. My husband and I enjoyed the time with these couples immensely and we were entirely blessed.

My husband took some vacation time at the end of the week to spend with me while the boys were at their classes. It has been a long time since we've done anything like that. We had lovely lunches, did a few of my husband's favorite acitvities, did a few of my favorite activities, shopped a little and just hung out and finished sentences and thoughts. We certainly felt weird without the boys around, but it was most enjoyable knowing they were busy at things they liked too. Three days with my husband...priceless.

We had a close to home Fourth, no plans but to stay home. It was a good day, though. Thousands of dollars are spent on my street alone every year during the week leading up to the Fourth of July. I am grateful that everyone remained safe even after one of the neighbor's canisters tipped and fireworks hit another neighbor's house.

About four families or groups of friends put on competing "shows" and it was quite a sight to see. Rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air on every side. I always feel just a teensy bit bad when I hear about people driving and waiting for fireworks shows put on by communities. All we've had to do for the last six years is walk out, put a lawn chair in the drive and sit and watch the show.

My husband took the boys up to one of the tents and they got to buy some (much smaller than our neighbors) fireworks. They had a few fountains and strobes and something I call "fizzy whizbangs" and a few other things. They had a great time lighting their own with Dad's supervision and then had about another hour of watching the neighbors. Again--soooooooo grateful for everyone being safe!!

I am so grateful we have our freedom to celebrate. I am thankful to the men and women who continue the work that begain over 230 years ago. Recently we were told of a friend of a friend who was severely injured overseas and we are praying for this soldier's life and for his family. They will never be the same after this, I just pray that they will allow God to comfort them during the coming days.

Grains of Gratitude is from Christine at Brady's Bunch!

2 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Sounds like good times! God blesses us all the time does He not? Back to "real" life now, huh? Have a great day!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad you and your hubby had that time together and that you enjoyed the 4th. It was lovely here too.
Back to normal- work for me today.