This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Reset Button

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I am a packrat crafter. I don't throw anything away. Even if it is outdated, almost empty, useless or worse...broken. I hang on to lots of stuff because, you know, you just never know, it might be useful. Okay, I guess I do throw some stuff away, like the science projects that find their way to my refrigerator, but if it isn't creepy, fuzzy or green, I hang on for dear life.

Anyway...there was this cheap calculator that I purchased for the boys before school started--big buttons, big readout, easy on my ever aging eyes. It was set on a shelf (because it was used so much) and when taken back out would not work. Since it was "solar powered" I thought little of it and let it sit on the table to charge. A few days later I checked it...still not working. And in ever the packrat crafter mode I shoved it into the shelf again...for that time I might need a non-working calculator. It happens...Right?

So last night in a moment of need I grabbed for the calculator, willing it to come on. Nope. Nothing. No matter how hard I punched those buttons. So of course I threw it away laid it on the table for one last chance.

This morning while doing school work with the boys, I fiddled with it absentmindedly, turning it over, seeing if I missed something. There was what looked like a battery cover, but not wanting to interrupt the flow of school, I didn't get up to find a screwdriver. I fiddled with it some more...wait...what was that teeney, tiny, eensey, weensey little black hole there in the back? What did the raised plastic letters say?

"Reset."

A pen was handy so I pushed it in and, voilĂ , the calculator resumed functioning!

Staples has a great commercial series offering an "easy" button. Don't we all wish that we had access to that throughout the day?

Even more so, I wish I had a "Reset" button. There are many things I would reset, redo and hopefully get right the second time. Although I would be willing to try a third or fourth to make things better. Hopefully I would not have a Bill Murray Groundhog's Day experience, although if that would be what it takes, I'd be willing.

What would you reset if you could?

We don't have a reset button, but our Mighty God gives us many chances and even better--forgiveness. I am so grateful. But I hope in this journey to learn to get things right the first time so I wouldn't have to have that wish for a reset button.

Peace,

Julie

3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love it - the reset button!!! I'll remember that one!

lilly said...

I don't even wanna go there with the reset button, lol! There are just so many things that i wish I could use it on.

Barbara H. said...

A reset button would be nice. But since God promises cleansing, forgiveness, and a new heart, I'm more than content. Humanly there are things I wish I could hit the "delete" button on.