This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Works for Me Wednesdays--Vincas

I love flowers and I love gardening. But given my housing situation there isn't a lot of room for much. One side of the house is a postage stamp either in mostly shade, children and dog and the other is in direct sun-baked brick and concrete. Actually my "zone" says I should be able to grow most any annual. In theory. But I live in reality. Oh so stark reality.

The first year here, I attempt to make my 3'X4' concrete planter an adorably arranged flower box. I had various herbs and a variety of colorful blooms and all sorts of little doo-dads. It looked cute for the first three weeks and then the sun scorched the plants one day when I wasn't home to nurse them. So the next year I followed my neighbor's lead. She had planted vicas and had flowers into fall.


So the next year I over did it, with vincas. I had vincas out the ears. This year I bought four pots with four tiny plants each. A little left over mulch and I should have blooms in just about the right proportion.


Vincas look a lot like impatiens. They come in a variety of colors. They thrive in full sun with very little coddling. They were inexpensive at Wal-Mart. Can't beat it with a stick. Well you could...but you'd kill you flowers. Not as creative and not as much gardening as I would like. But healthy and easy to maintain...WORKS FOR ME!!

Visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer for more creative tips and tricks and all the Works for Me Wednesday ladies.


Just a note to let everyone know that during the week of June 4-8 I will be giving away 5 new books!! Check back then to see what books are being given away.

12 comments:

Amy said...

These are beautiful!

I really can't wait till I can have a garden of my own!

Great photos!

TNChick said...

your flowers looks fab! We had a cold spell here in early spring that took a toll on all our flowers... they are so behind.

Linda said...

I love vincas. Can relate, it is too hot here for pots too. This year we had success in that there was a drought and we could only water with buckets. So the pots got watered with everything else. Usually the gardens get watered and pots only sometimes.

Tiany said...

I also love Vincas! :-) Thanks for sharing! You have a lovely blog! :-)

Blessings,
Tiany

Bss said...

My flowers outside were a flop! Sun scorched in a matter of days, even though I watered twice per day. But, I have had a lot of luck with my indoor plants. It's nice to have green things growing to rest the eyes on.

CoachJ said...

Never tried vincas. I'll have to look into them for next year. I tried impatiens this year, and they're working out OK except for the side of the crepe myrtle that is too sunny. I killed those, too :( I also ran across a plant called Lamb's ear. It's my new favorite.

JennaG said...

Vinca's are my friend. I plant them every year.

Carrie J said...

I have had very good luck with Vincas as well. I always planted Impatients but got tired of the pampering they need in my beds. Vincas are so much easier.

annie said...

i plant them too, one think I can't kill!

jen said...

I love petunias for all of the same reasons. I've seen vincas in my area and they have always intrigued me. Now I HAVE to try them!

Scribbit said...

I was just getting to the part about them looking like impatiens when I thought "those look a lot like impatiens . . ."

Really pretty, I'll have to remember those.

Liza's Eyeview said...

I have tons of vincas in our yard too :) Last longer than impatience but it's as beautiful and colorful :)