This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Children's Book Monday--Frances

We've had these for a long time. And truth be told they are not politically correct. And of course my children quote the least PC line of the book Bedtime for Frances, “Whack and smack. Whack and smack…” which is followed IN THE BOOK by, “made Frances think of a sp@nking” but no………my children will run around and giggle and hysterically laugh, “Sounds like a sp@nking to ME!!!” Leading people not familiar with our lives to think I must apply that method to our children. BUT I DON’T. Really. Honestly. But what we do is read these wonderful books by Russell and Lillian Hoban.

Bedtime for Frances, Best Friends for Frances, Bread and Jam for Frances. We love Frances. Now if you look at the age recommendations my boys are getting to old for Frances. The fact that Boo had been given Bedtime for Frances as his reading assignment and Roo loudly volunteered, “Can I read it too him??!!” might make you realize just how engaging these books are.
Frances is a stubborn little badger. Frances tests her parents at every turn. Father and Mother are witty and wonderful and loving and in charge. They are creative too. With humor and compassion the Frances stories are full of lessons and fun. They are oft requested and much loved at my house.

Other Frances books include A Bargain for Frances, A Birthday for Frances, A Baby Sister for Frances.

Children’s Book Monday is hosted by Elise at A Path Made Straight. Please visit her and check out her wonderful reading recommendations.
What is your family reading today?

9 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I loved the Francis books when my kids were small.

I miss children's books. But someday, Lord willing, I'll have grandkids. :-)

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

I have always loved Frances! My blys loved her too, when they were little :-)

kim said...

I miss Frances around here at our house. We loved her--pc or not!!
*smiles*
Kim

Scribbit said...

Those are classics--they'll never get old.

henryteachers said...

I absolutely love the Frances books. I grew up reading them as a child myself so it is so fun sharing them with my own children. Good choice for Children's book Monday!

Stacey said...

Frances books are right up there with me....followed by all things Ruth Chew!

Dapoppins said...

We love Frances too. Growing up I had no idea how politically incorrect they were...Frances almost gets a spanking! And My children quite enjoy them too. Wonderful, wonderful stories.

Elise said...

Oh, how we love Frances in this house! Such sweet, fun stories. Thanks for reminding us of these treasures! And thank you for joining the fun yet again - I think I'm back on the wagon for a while now... :)

Leah in Iowa said...

I had "A Bargain for Frances" on a small record when I was a kid - 33 or 45? Can't remember the difference anymore! But I'd listen to the record while following along in the book ~ what a treasured memory! I loved it so much that I bought the whole set of books for my girls a few years ago. They love them as well. Yay! Glad you like them, too.