This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, October 12, 2007

Fall Into Reading Review

The Brink of Death by Brandilyn Collins

Oh. My. Word. If you choose to read this, just set aside some time and be prepared to fly through it. Collins can write a thriller. I read this over two evenings and I am not kidding, each night I had to double okay triple check that I locked the blinking doors. Good grief am I susceptible or what??? Don't answer that.

We start the story with a murder. With that title, would I have expected anything less. It was more graphic that I was prepared for. I understood the book to be Christian fiction, but Collins depicts murder for what it is, a hateful and totally evil crime. We see into the mind of the murderer. And we meet Annie Kingston.

Annie has come from the school of hard knocks. Her father was a brilliant defense attorney, who was lacking in the parental column and is recently dead from a heart attack. Her husband was…a louse. And she and her children are suffering from both of these facts. They've recently moved to find a safe haven and some peace to heal and grow stronger. They move to her father's old house in quiet Grove Landing.

A shocking murder occurs across the street leaving her daughter’s friend without her mother. What can Annie do but dive in and help?

Annie is an aggressive and determined woman when she decides to get involved. The story left me in the clich├ęd nail biting, edge of my seat panic until I had read the final paragraph. Somehow Ms. Collins wove in the salvation message without whacking her readers upside the head. Awesomely done.

There are three more books in the series. My dear friend Jenny sent them all to me recently—guess what I am going to be reading soon?

Brandilyn Collins has a knack for drawing her readers in quickly and keeping them engrossed. Brink of Death—a fantastic (albeit thrilling) read.

1 comment:

Coach J said...

I'm so glad you like it!! You'll go through the whole series in no time at all. Great review. Right on target.
Have you read Brandilyn Collins' Eyes of Elijah? If not, you need to. You'll meet the main character in Book 4 (I think) of this series you're reading now.