This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Notes From the Sofa

Part-way into Week 6 of school.

It's interesting to watch out my kitchen window in the morning as I wait for my tea to steep. The neighbor children are all waiting for the school buses in shorts and sandals. A couple more months and they will be bundled up. At least I hope they will be!!

I'm ever so grateful that the boys have not had to leave the house for school. This year has been particularly good and enjoyable, although still totally "real." Trust me we have our share of, "Mooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmm!!! He's looking at me! He's humming/tipping his chair/tapping his pencil/breathing/piercing his nose with the paper clip--just kidding about the last one. Well...sort of. Let's just say I was kidding.

Ahhh--hemmmm...As I said, we are on Week 6 and I think pretty much up to speed, although a few of my high ideals have met with the reality of the clock and I've not figured out how to squeeze more hours into the day. In fact, today, during a moment of total insanity, I agreed to let Roo participate in the ballet school's youth company for (thankfully just) one piece. Because we have nothing else to do. Choke, sputter, cough. What was I thinking??

We've gotten a good Bible study going on the names of God. Both boys are enjoying that and I am so pleased. The basics are all falling into place. Each has chosen things that interest them and seem pretty happy with their choices.

A year has made a world of difference for Boo in ability to focus for longer stretches. Although he's still pretty...ahhhhh...creative. However, to his defense, he was NOT the one with the paper clip. Just sayin'...


I realized today, as I was helping Roo with Latin--his choice, not mine, although I'm happy to provide, that I need track down a copy of Famous Men of Rome. A little late, but it will all work out. Going to check out my local homeschool bookstore first, but there are several places to find it online. I'm sure there are going to be more bits and pieces that turn up. We'll just worry about those in their time.

We've managed to get piano in everyday, too. Piano has been important to all of us but was something that fell apart toward April and hopefully we will regroup. The boys were excited for their new books, although I'm still waiting on Amazon and my pitiful postal service to deliver two more books we ordered.

Found this looking for the word "sofa." Definitely NOT my sofa, but there are days this would fit my reality.

Click on the photo to see the design company this is from.


Not sure about you, but I think I smell autumn in the air, even through the near 90 degree heat and humidity.

Time is flying by!

Julie

4 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes, I agree there is a touch of Autumn in the air. Even though we had mid 80's yesterday the sun is just not as hot as it was. I hope your school year is a successful one.

Renee said...

Oh Julie, thanks for the laughs! Glad your homeschool year is going well. I hope Autumn is just around the corner!

Carrie said...

Love the sofa! It sounds like you are doing very well with homeschooling.

lilly said...

Kudos to you for homeschooling. I would never have the guts nor patience to do it.