This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Frogs In My Food

Someone is going to Google looking for "recipes with frog" and be severely disappointed. Sorry in advance if this is you.

This is possibly one of my favorite times of year. Our family does things a little different than many Christian households. One thing is that we do not celebrate “Easter.” Now before you string me up, write hateful comments or dismiss me as a total lost soul, hear me out. We do not celebrate “Easter,” however we do celebrate the sacrifice of death and the RESURRECTION of our LORD. We also celebrate Passover. Why? Because Jesus did. Sometime we call Him Jesus, sometimes we call Him Yeshua, sometime Y’shua. So if you are with me so far let’s go for the fun stuff first.

Yesterday the boys and I started preparing for our Passover that will be in a couple weeks. I am so excited when the calendars align—Julian, Georgian, and Jewish. This year Orthodox Pascha, and Easter are the same, if I am not mistaken. Passover falls a few days before. I have to tell you that it troubles and confuses me when Passover comes after these two. I know the whys of this happening. I am just saying it is bothersome. To me.

In preparation for this we start studying things like Salvation. And why Jesus had to die for our sins. We study about the sacrifices and what they meant then and what they mean to us. We also study about the Children of Israel who were in Egypt. We study about their captivity and their freedom for bondage. We study about the plagues that GOD sent upon Egypt. Each year it looks a little different. But something we started last year got carried over to this year.

The Ten Plagues Adventure.

Now there were ten and I am dividing this up over this week and next. Monday through Friday each week. Yesterday we started with the blood in the water. The Nile turned to blood, the water in all of Egypt turned to blood. I am not quite so dramatic as to make everything red—but I made up a concoction of juice and ginger ale that Boo was okay with but Roo really didn’t like. So we talked about what the people must have thought about and how thirsty they would be. It was an okay lesson.

Today was the fun. Today was the plague of frogs. I raided Boo’s zoo animal boxes and snitched borrowed all the plastic frogs I could find. There were frogs in the bed, the food, the toothbrushes the computer, the water, the school work—there were a lot of frogs. It was so much fun to watch them run and find new ones. To find them on grapes, on cake. Daddy even found one in his pillow (he was tired so…not as funny as I had hoped). There was a frog in the bathroom tissue.


Lots of fun. But we have to remember that the real thing wasn’t fun.

Tomorrow we will come up with lice, then flies and so on…

At supper we studied about what the plagues meant to the Egyptians. What I learned this year was the plagues were meant to oppose what the Egyptians held as idols or gods. Just a couple of examples: the first plague—water into blood; this I think affected me the most. The Egyptians saw the Nile as life-giving. But the Egyptians killed innocent Hebrew baby boys by throwing them into the Nile. The Nile was filled with blood. (Metaphorically speaking I realize.) But from the place they once drew life sustaining water they could only draw blood. How appropriate. The second plague—frogs were a symbol of Isis, the goddess of fertility. What happened when all these frogs died??? They were confronted with death. I am thinking dead frogs don’t smell so good. Each plague put God against what the Egyptians believed. Very powerful stuff. We talked about the first six plagues tonight. We will continue with this and more over the time between now and Passover.

We talked about magic. This is a topic at our house right now. We talked about Pharaoh’s magicians. They tried to change the laws of nature. Laws of how God made earth. All and all a satisfactory discussion.

I use a couple sources for my Biblical Holidays and one is A Family Guide to the Biblical Holidays by Robin Sampson & Linda Pierce. Barney Kasden’s God’s Appointed Times and God’s Appointed Customs have been very helpful too.

I use the Biblical Holidays more as a homeschool tool because that is what it is created for. There is a website that accompanies the book. Not an inexpensive book but we have used it often and for the last four years. I have not even scratched the surface of. To learn more about Passover and how it applies to Christians today you can visit here. You can learn more about the Ten Plagues Adventure here.

8 comments:

Jenny in Ca said...

my, how fun! My kids would really dig doing this!

thanks for sharing. We have done a Sedar (spelling?) dinner before with but never with frogs, I must say.

Rae said...

Wow this is such a fun way to learn! I was a little worried when I saw the title of this post, lol..but your ideas are amazing. Definitely keeping these in mind for the future!

Thanks for stopping by my place and taking the time to comment. Here's hoping you never have to experience a negative one! =)

Liza's Eyeview said...

What a great idea.

Those frogs..they are so funny on photo - great and creative way to remember the lessons

Jennifer said...

Wow--this is so interesting. Thanks for sharing.

The Wooden Porch said...

What you don't celebrate Easter?! Oh my goodness, I just couldn't read any further.

Just kidding. :-) I thought you might feel a little let down if you didn't get at least one mean comment. (and that's just me, being a smart alack to someone I really don't even know) I like your idea!

That sounds like a wonderful book. When Hubs and I were first married, we thought about Christmas without presents for much the same reason as your Easter.

JennaG said...

How fun for the kids. Mine are older, but I think they would still enjoy that!

Joyful Days said...

Wooden Porch--Snort You are too funny! And how can you say we aren't well acquainted. I know where you use the computer at your mother-in-law's house...
Bwaaaahahaa.

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

I have a friend who has blogged a few times about the same book. She and her family are working their way through all the holidays. I think it's a great idea!
Thanks for commenting on my frog post. Lately we've been hearing them at night, which to me is a definite sign that spring is here. I was very relieved to hear that you didn't have real frogs in your food - i was a bit worried for a few minutes!