This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Spring Reading Thing 2007


Katrina over at Callapiddar Days is hosting the Spring Reading Thing—I just love that title. No nonsense. Someone asks, “Whatcha doing??” The simple answer, “The Spring Reading Thing!” It’s in Spring, I am reading, it is one of those “things.” It runs from March 21 to June 21 so make your list and join.

My trouble is that I start books and get sidetracked…by other books, and, well…yeah homeschool and running the boys to basketball and ballet and other fun stuff like laundry and dishes. So I start these books and then I come back and sit down with intentions to finish and many times I don’t. So who’s going to come make sure I stay focused??

Perhaps having a plan is exactly what I need and I am going to try so here is my list:

Fiction

The Jesus Incident by Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom (I am reading this with a friend of mine, another mom who has boys that dance, so often we have our little book club while we sit and wait.)

The Ill Earth War by Stephen R Donaldson second in the Lord Foul’s Bane--The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series. This is sometimes painful reading. Like watching an accident happen, but then seeing hope and faith in the chaos.

The Crossing Places by Kevin Crossley-Holland. This is the second in a trilogy. It follows The Seeing Stone. Reading is upper level juvenile/young adult fiction. The first was well done and I expect the books to follow be the same. It is an interesting take on the King Arthur story.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini Just because I've been wanting too.

The Princeling and the Oak Apple by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. There are 29 books in this series and while I will allow it is not the height of literature it is fascinating historical fiction. Not for everyone, due to some explicit content.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon because I have been told I should.

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. I have wanted to read this forever and have not seen the movie—once I read the book then I will see the movie.

The Forest House by Marion Bradley Zimmer. This is a pre-prequel to the Mists of Avalon which I loved. Another Arthurian story.

Non fiction
Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. I. Am. Going. To Finish. This teeney tiny little book if it takes every ounce of energy I have to keep it in my hand. I think I am the only person who this is not a favorite.

Sprititual Direction by Henry Nouwen

Healing ADD by Daniel G. Amen, M.D.

Scattered by Gabor Mate, also ADD related reading.

The Unprocessed Child (a reread) by Valerie Fitzenreiter. It is an unschooling book I read before and need to read again. I didn’t agree with everything she had to say the first time but it was an eye opening book. Much like the John Holt approach.

Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Eastern Orthodox Theology by Daniel B. Clendenin

In His Steps by Charles Sheldon

Read Alouds with the boys will include Stuart Little, E.B. White, Little House, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Heidi Johanna Spyri, Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry and then we will see what comes. We did the Read to Me Mission 2007 with Jennifer at Snapshot and plan to continue with some better habits we worked on.

Our library offers a summer reading program that will pick up at the end of May and run into the last weeks in August so the boys will be participating in that and while I will “guide” their selections, I will let them make the decision to read what they want in that. We tried to participate with that last year, but really fell down on the job. Summer Intensives and the annual County Fair week during "Camp Grandmarama" and the pool, just allowed us to be lazy and make excuses. At the end of the summer the boys were disappointed they didn’t finish as well as they planned, but the life lessons were valuable.

Thanks to Katrina for hosting this and I am looking forward to peeking at everyone else’s lists.

13 comments:

Liza's Eyeview said...

Please let me know what you thibk about Healing ADD by Dr. Amen after you read it. I have heard good things about it from some of the "posters" at "Schwablearning message board".

Thanks :)

Happy Spring Reading!

Rae said...

Hey there! You have some amazing books on your list. I'm looking forward to your reviews! Good luck tackling them all & Happy Reading! =)

Chris said...

Outlander is an excellent read.
I haven't read Age of Innocence but I have read Wharton. She's an great writer although she doesn't write happy stories.

DebD said...

Ohh, I love reading lists. I'll have to borrow some of your titles for my next reading challenge.

I'd also be interested in hearing about the ADD books.

Love, love, love Nouwen. He's one of my fav. And of course, I'm rather partial to Orthodox books ;)

Deena said...

Our library does a summer reading program as well...my youngest is already primed for it!

Katrina said...

Great list, varied and interesting! My husband keeps telling me to read Eragon, but I just haven't done it yet. :) Thanks for being part of the Spring Reading Thing!

Nise' said...

Enjoyed checking out your reading list. Outlander has become one of my all time favorites. I re-read the entire series every few years and never get tired of it. I love Jamie Frasier!

Jane said...

I am totally with you on the "read the book first and then watch the movie" theory! enjoy your reading!

Shalee said...

Oh, someone else with a LONG list. Yippee!

Loved Eragon and Age of Innocence! I'm reading Outlander as well, so we'll see about that one together.

alisonwonderland said...

i've got Eragon on my list too! i saw the movie at Christmas time - my daughters had already read the book, but i hadn't.

happy reading!

JennaG said...

I don't think I've read any of those books! Enjoy your spring reading!

Mrs. Pear said...

Your list looks really interesting!

I am planning to read Spiritual Direction too, so it will be interesting to see what you think of it too!

Jennifer said...

I said I was going to add a book to my list from someone else's on the SRT. Maybe it will be Brother Lawrence. I agree with you on it! I've read a bit of it, and yes it's interesting, but not a favorite, and it's SO tiny. It's been beside my bed forever. . . .