This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Read to Me 2007 Mission




Who knew?
Tinkerbell has a mouth like a sailor and she’s a little bit of a hussy to boot. But we’ve liked Peter Pan. It was a bit more bloody than I errrr... the boys were prepared for but all in all a good book. Definitely a book from another era.

Harry Potter, I love that child and wish I could take care of him (I connect with Molly Weasly on such a mom level), but good golly Molly, he needs to learn to think a little. That child is rash! Reading this with the boys will count my third venture with the series. We are into the Chamber of Secrets now. I think maybe JK Rowling is Molly Weasly. She is like a mom to Harry being the author and all, she birthed him, so to speak.

Johnny Tremaine is a great book but we didn’t get as far in as I would like to. We've had some good discussions about the historical aspect which have made it worthwhile.

James Herriot’s Treasury for Children is just that a treasure, a gem and a gentle foil to two little boys who like to explode in my living room. The calming animal stories and Herriot's way with words is great for a cuddle on the couch.

All in all the Read to Me 2007 Mission was a great challenge. I was disappointed that we didn’t do more, but then we did struggle with a case of the snots each, and then me, debating back and forth whether or not we were actually going to have a spring break due to the fact that my DCG has been home for so long and the apple cart got upset a looooooooong time ago.

So, yes, we did a lot more reading aloud together than we had in the past, but not as much as we could have. The books have been the topic of many dinner conversations. The chance to snuggle and read won over Xbox time more than half of the time. And right now I am grateful for that.

We won’t be dropping the Read to Me Mission just because the challenge is ending. This has been a boost that we so needed. I hope to get back to a bit better schedule and the pile to be read is growing. Coming up will be Stuart Little, Some of the Little House books, Heidi, Misty of Chincoteague and more. Roo has been on a fantasy/adventure kick for a while and I am looking for a bit more "realistic" fiction that might provide a better transition to bedtime.

Thanks so much Jennifer for hosting this challenge. Stop by her Snapshot, her blog and check out what everyone else read!

Stay tuned next week for Katrina’s Spring Reading Thing over at Callapidder Days. Time to make a list for me!

10 comments:

Karen said...

My kids found Peter Pan scary, so we have put that on hold until they are older. They do love Stuart Little and Harry Potter. I wish they were interested in Little House, but I guess that is too girly for them:-) I do have almost the whole collection...maybe I'll have to send them to my nieces!

Indiana Amy said...

Just stopping over from Amy's blog. I hadn't heard of this program but that is so great. My daughter is only 13 months so we are reading a lot of Dr. Seuss and Sandra Boynton at the moment. Hopefully she will love to read someday too!

Take care!

JennaG said...

We love to read-aloud at our house but have hardly done any this year. My kids are Peter Pan freaks and my oldest just finished reading Peter and the Starcatchers aloud to the family! This is a series of Peter's life before Wendy and her brothers. We have also seen every movie associated with Peter Pan. I get tickled when they watch the Disney classic of it because they practically recite it word for word. Anyway--congrats on the reading and I encourage you to continue because you will remember it as precious times. Also, we always listen to audio books in the car--there is a great selection of kids books out there that we enjoy so much! Sorry to ramble on... Have a great weekend!

Julee said...

Wow! Good job on your books. Sadly, we didn't do so well, but getting out the stack of books has made them more accessible and the kids pick them up more often. Having a baby 6 weeks ago probably didn't help, but now I'm just making excuses. ;)

gil said...

Hi just popping over from Amys blog.
my two eldest are 13 and 15 so read themselves now , one of the joys is my 4 year is starting to love stories - yipeee i get to go through it all again

Jennifer said...

Great job! I think that you did well, and especially since everyone enjoyed it and chose the books over some other things. Thanks for the reviews. I want to try Misty sometime, too.

Lauren S. said...

Sounds like you enjoyed the books you read! Thanks for the reviews!

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

We have never read any of the Harry Potter books, although we love all the movies. They are definite favourites with the kids (and me!)
I'll have to check out the James Herriot treasury, sounds right up our alley!

stephanie said...

Good to know about Peter Pan! :) Glad the challenge went so well for you. Don't you love it when reading wins out over TV/electronics!

Appliejuice said...

I am glad your reading time won over the X-box time. :D Thanks for the reviews, I'll have to check out Johnny Tremaine.