This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, March 12, 2007

Not a Lot of Time

Joy shared is joy doubled. –Johann von Goethe

No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Matthew 24:36

I am a procrastinator, a piddler and a time waster. I can have a to-do list that stretches the across the house and manage to find a reason to sit at the computer…for "just another minute." I don’t use my time well.

This week at church I was reminded that the one thing we all have in common is a 24 hour day. You cannot buy more time. With enough money one can buy conveniences and hire help to get more done in a day—but no one can’t buy more time.

If you knew that you only had a limited amount of time left, what would you do with it? Would you read a great book? Would you go on a mission trip? Would you make up with your ex-friend about the argument you can’t remember what started it? Would you go visit Grandma? Would you spend every last second with your nose shoved in your child’s hair, just to smell that sweet smell? Would you hold your spouse’s hand a little longer?

Would you sit and write a blog post about time?? Apparently, I might. But we all only have a limited amount of time left. We don’t know the day or the hour. We don’t know if we will see the LORD return or if we will be waiting for our loved ones on the other side of heaven.

There are so many things to do with our time. There is no right answer for everyone.

The question needs to be asked also, what will you leave behind? Some people laugh at me because I am a “saver of stuff’ but I think I am saving memories. (The guy on Clean Sweep would trounce me.) I know my grandma is not in the afghan, but her hands made it. I know my father (who is alive, just so you know) is not the hope chest I have, but he made it for me. I save pictures and letters and they all bring back memories. I want to leave good memories for my family, should I leave before them.

There’s not a lot of time. There are more memories to be made.

Encouraging us all to live life well…In Him.

3 comments:

amy said...

What a lovely post and defintely something to think about. I wonder if people find me superficial and materialistic. I hope thats not the case because I want more to that. I will be thinking about this

JennaG said...

I'm glad my post on weariness encouraged you. Now, I will spend some TIME thinking about what you have posted here.

Liza's Eyeview said...

No wonder we like each other's blog. We are so alike in many ways :)

The other day I was actually composing a poem on my head about 24 hours in a day (and a lot of the thoughts are similar to what you expressed here).

yeah...I too would probably blog more when I have more time on my hands ;)

Have a wonderful day today!