This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, February 26, 2007

Reading Recap

Lord Foul’s Bane—The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever

I talked about this here. Let me just say I finished it. I trudged through the first 200 or so pages and then flew through the last half. This was in no way a reflection of Stephen Donaldson’s brilliant writing. It could very well be due to my mood.

I am awful about spoiling books, so let me just say I was captivated by the story and Donaldson’s use of language is pure poetry. I highly recommend it and plan to continue with the series. I am still relating to the leper. Life still feels like a battle. But we go forward.

Brother Lawrence and I are still butting heads. I know, I know it is a small book. I am really struggling with it. I’ll write more about that when I finish.

I started Cynthia Harrod-Eagles The Founding last night and stayed up way past my bedtime and paid for it today.

Our Read to Me Mission 2007 was pretty successful last week. Hop over to Jennifer’s Snapshot and see who else is reading out loud. My goal is to read more this week than we did last.

Roo and I were early to ballet one night and are down to the last chapter in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. The boys and I did read a bit of Peter Pan in the park and read some more for bedtimes.

It is obvious to a visitor in our home we appreciate the value of a good book by our collection. (I appreciate the 50 cent sales at Half Price Books that I stumble on sometimes!) I think as a family we read a lot. I read to the boys before they were old enough to chew on books. But one thing I think we failed at is bedtime reading. Perhaps because we homeschool and read during the day we’ve become complacent, or possibly because we are night-owls and I am mortified telling people my children’s bedtime.

But last month I got the BBC’s audio-book collection of the Chronicles of Narnia from the library. All 31 wonderful discs. (I wish that was in my budget to own!) and the boys listened to it at bedtimes and on our trip to visit family. When we were done both boys asked if I could find another audio-book for bedtime. They were surprised to hear that I would read Peter Pan to them at bedtime also. It has been a sweet time and they beg me not to quit. (I am sure staying up later would never contribute to their asking.) But lights out sweet princes and promises for tomorrow. I’ll be peeking back in to check on you.

It is the nightly custom of every good mother after her children are asleep to rummage around in their minds and put things straight for the next morning, repacking into their proper places the many articles that have wandered during the day. If you could keep awake (but of course you can’t) you would see your own mother doing this and you would find it very interesting to watch her. J.M. Barrie—Peter Pan


Technorati tags: children's books,

1 comment:

The Wooden Porch said...

What a wonderful quote! I love J.M. Barrie!