This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Read to Me 2007 Mission

I think we have been doing a fair job of increasing our reading. I have tried to read to each boy separately and to both of them together. I have also tried to have them listen to some of each other’s selections. Not a shocker that this has had mixed reception.

Boo just cannot get into Johnny Tremain and I am not really surprised. Roo and I went ahead and added Johnny along with The Chamber of Secrets. Once you get started, it just seems to be an easier thing to add just a little more. Roo on the other hand seems to really be enjoying Johnny. Let me just say here, so far the old Disney movie version of Johnny Tremain is a pale comparison to the book. (Why is that not surprising??) It is no wonder the book is a Newberry Medal award winner. We have had the opportunity to talk about apprentices and how they would have lived back then. There has been character traits to discuss--namely Johnny's pride. There are more characters than the movie had and each brings so much to the story. I am glad we are reading this book.

Boo is sitting through Chamber of Secrets, although I really never intended that book for him. But with the deal the movies would be watched with me after reading the book—Boo came along for the ride. It is hard to keep a second child as innocent as the first one was. Oh well…not worth a battle.

Roo has been listening to the James Herriot’s Treasury for Children. At first it was my suggestion, and I got the withering, “Oh, Mom!” But after the first two pages he was re-hooked and is enjoying them a second time around, for I read them to him when he was younger. This is one of my personal favorites and sentimental me gets a little teary reading some of the sweet tales.

Peter Pan—once again, Disney disappoints in comparison to the book. Is there a "Peter" movie out there that is truer to the book? I must admit to being caught off guard by a few words from Barrie that I wasn’t expecting and sometimes his humor is a bit off color, but we’ve enjoyed it immensely.

Two books we read this week that I highly recommend: The Quiltmaker’s Gift and The Quiltmaker’s Journey by Jeff Brumbeau. The illustrations by Gail de Marcken are breathtaking and both boys have really responded to the message of the story. These are beautiful books and as soon as life gets back to a manageable mess, I intend on purchasing these for our personal library. If anyone is a quilt maker themselves there are companion books about the quilts in the artwork for the books. There is a website with information and activities.

Go visit Jennifer at Snapshot and check out who’s reading out loud to their children. Her Read to Me 2007 Mission is going throught the 19th of March.

Right after that Katrina at Callapidder Days is hosting a Spring Reading Thing. She will be putting up more informations soon. Get some reading lists made up and join!




Technorati tags:

1 comment:

amy said...

What a neat post! As a future adoptive parent, I love to hear about parenting and reading and such..Thanks for posting