This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday


I have a friend who is an inspired hostess. She can make a quiet dinner for two, she can host a cocktail party for her significant others sophisticated friends, she can do dinner for the girls, she can feed my children and entertain them. She is the “hostess with the mostest.”

Me…not so much.

When I have company for dinner I hate to spend time in the kitchen after the guests arrive. I inevitably forget to put something in the sauce or overcook the meat. I get distracted. Also high on my obsessive list is worrying about food allergies. We have several friends who are allergic or who choose not to eat certain foods for other reasons.

What I have found works for me is to have a buffet where the guest becomes responsible for the contents of their meal. My three favorite company meals have become—make your own pizza, soup and sandwich or build your own tacos.

Pizza involves just having toppings available in bowls, having small crusts ready and waiting in small pie tins. A couple different sauces (jar sauce is fine), three kinds of cheese, a couple meat choices, plenty of veggies and everyone should find something to eat.

Build your own tacos is much the same, I usually offer chicken, beef and beans, with lots of veggies and cheese.

The soup and sandwich meals have been really nice for early meals. Chili, chicken noodle and some other family favorite or a vegetarian soup make for easy do ahead and keep warm in a crockpot. Sandwich fixings can be as simple as meats and cheeses or as complicated as you like. I am a plain sort of gal and prefer to keep it simple.

Feel welcome to come have a meal at my house. Don’t look for crystal and silver. Be prepared to make yourself at home. Don’t mind the dog and the boys. Don’t be afraid to take as much of what you want and if you pass on something it surely won’t make me feel bad. Put your feet up and get comfy and I will too and we will have a relaxing time.

“Make your own___” buffets—Works for me!
For lots of other great tips, tricks and recipes check out more Works for Me Wednesdays at Shannon’s blog, Rocks in My Dryer. This week is a kitchen themed carnival.

13 comments:

Nikki said...

Great ideas. Now I know what to do for our company coming this Sunday!

An Ordinary Mom said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Jane said...

Great ideas. A couple of weeks ago their was a WFMW on ziplock bag omlets along the same lines. Everyone adds two eggs to their baggy and the toppings of their choice and they boil for 13 minutes in a pot of water. Well I tried them and it was great, I don't know if you entertain for brunch, but you would probably like this! It would be in the WFMW archives.

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I love the buffet idea! You could do a make your own omlet buffet, or a ice cream social where you offer different toppings! I've made crepes and let my guest pick out ingredients to fill them with...that went over well!

Thanks for checking out my WFMW post! :) If you find the stainless-steel ball whisks, you're going to love it!

Larae said...

I love love LOVE this brilliant idea! It sounds like so much fun too. I'm hosting a make your own pizza party very soon. Thanks SO much for sharing this awesome idea! =)

DebD said...

What wonderful ideas! I'm not so good at entertaining either.

Kim C. said...

What fun!
We often let guests build their own sundae or banana split at birthday parties. It gives the kids something fun to do and gets me out of 2 hours decorating a cake that invariably looks better than it tastes. :p
We used to have an open house Pizza night every Friday and occasionally did the Build-Your-Own-Pizza but never thought of instituting it as a regular occurence. It would be easy to potluck that way too - the host could provide crust and cheese, and each guest bring a couple of toppings...now you've got my brain ticking...

devildogwife said...

What a fun idea. I want to come to your house to eat. I bet your guests have a blast!

annie said...

Love this! I did the taco buffet for daughters last birthday because you never know what kids are going to eat. Went over well!
Thanks!
Have a great Wednesday.
blessings~
Annie

Pieces said...

The build your own pizzas is a great idea. I've never thought of that!

Barbara H. said...

What a great way to make sure everyone gets something they'll like.

Celfyddydau said...

I love your buffet idea. I can't cook unless it involves a microwave and a freezer :D

janiswrites said...

That is a wonderful idea! That would help my stress level very much! Thanks for sharing!