This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, October 15, 2007

Children's Book Monday

The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes

With a name like that, you'd think it was a girls' book. And I suppose it is a book for girls. But it is also a book for boys because what it really is, is a book for children.

The Hundred DressesLittle, Polish Wanda Petronski comes to school every day from Boggins Heights in the same blue dress. She is different from all the other children in clothes, in name, in residence and in manner. And children are not always nice when it comes to someone being different.

Peggy and Maddie are always on the lookout for Wanda. They like to have a little fun with her. They like to play a game called "The Hundred Dresses." For Wanda, in her shabby blue dress, claims that at home she has one hundred dresses, all lovely colors and rich fabrics. The girls quiz her about her wardrobe that she never wears so they might admire some of her dresses.

One day Wanda is not at school. In fact Wanda does not return at all, but she leaves something behind and in doing so she teaches a valuable lesson and is not forgotten.

The Hundred Dresses would be a fine book for first and second graders to read alone, but it makes an even better read aloud because it opens up many topics that are often familiar to children and by exploring the lessons in the book parents and children can talk about kindness and differences and how someone outside "the crowd" might feel.

Again, The Hundred Dresses was a book that I remember from when I was growing up. It left a memory on my heart that I've been happy to share with my children.

Elanor Estes' Newberry Honor Award book shares a timeless story and the dreamy, vague almost impressionistic illustrations by Louis Slobodkin allow children to put themselves into the story.

Children's Book Monday is home at A Path Made Straigth where you will find Elise and everyone who loves children's books who join her.

5 comments:

JennaG said...

I loved this little book--I didn't read it as a child, but enjoyed reading it to my children.

Cecily R said...

I love that book! I am a children's book fanatic and we are overflowing with them at my house. I think I'd own a library if we were rich. This one is one I need to add to my list of books I want to get. I'd almost forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder!

kim said...

I have read this book out loud to both sets of my kids--(olders and youngers) at one time or another and find myself crying every time. This little storyline just touches my heart. Thanks for sharing about it.

*smiles*
Kim

Overwhelmed! said...

I've never heard of this book. It sounds wonderful! I'll have to look for it in my library. :)

By the way, thank you for your kind comment on my Snuggle Bug update post. And yes, I am cherishing every moment with our little guy. He's so precious to us!

Elise said...

This is an excellent book - we read it this last year, but I'm glad to be reminded of it again - it's going back on the list! Thank you, friend!