This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Miss Bishop—A Review

Miss BishopMiss Bishop by Bess Streeter Aldrich

January isn’t over and yet I can tell you what will be one of my Top 10 Favorite Books of 2008. Miss Bishop.

Oak River, a town in 1876, offers nothing but promise to 16 year old Ella Bishop. She enters Midwestern College with a vision for her life. A plan she is sure will work out. She is positive, engaging, a delightful young woman full of vigor and joy.

The story travels from September of 1876 to June of 1933. Fifty-seven years of Ella Bishop’s life, 57 years of change for Oak River and Midwestern College. Fifty-seven years in which Ella Bishop’s plans are continually disrupted.

Published in 1933 this book is not as active as many novels are today; it moves at a pace from a past time. But it is full of it's own tension, challenges, pains and joys of a full life, lived well. Miss Bishop is a character study of a life lived in service to others, denial of selfish desires. Proof that one life can change so many others. Cheers for Miss Bishop

I'm sure I'm not doing the story justice.

There is a movie called Cheers for Miss Bishop that I discovered today. I've placed it on hold at the library. If it's worth watching I'll add a reveiw for that.
For now go and find Miss Bishop at your library!

Technorati tags:

4 comments:

Heidi @ GGIP said...

I like the cover of the book that you show. It does sound very interesting!

luvmy4sons said...

I gave you an award...

Bev said...

I love old-fashioned books! Thanks for the review, I'll check and see if my library has it on their shevles.

Renee's Reading Corner said...

Sounds really interesting! The movie too.