This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, December 19, 2008

Fall into Reading 2008 Wrap-Up

I didn't think I was overly ambitions selecting thirteen books for the three months reading of the Fall into Reading Challenge. But I have a bad habit of getting distracted with my reading. No surprise there.

This time around I did finish thirteen books and am in the process of reading two more, sequels to two of the books on my list.

I didn't finish five books on my list. Truly, I think the largest factor for not reading three of the books was that they were library books and I went on a "return everything I am not reading at the moment" binge. I have a bad habit of checking out more books than I can handle at one time and then they go back before I've read them. So I decided to work through the books I had on hand and then never got back to checking out the three on my list again. They are still of interest to me and I will pursue reading them in 2009.

I poked through one and have decided it is more a devotional instead of a "read through book" and will likely use it in 2009 as a devotional. The other, one that is mine, just got moved to the back of the stack since it would be a re-read for me.

Books I didn't read were:
But Who Do You Say I Am? by Bishop John A. Marshall (This is the book that I will be using as a devotional.) This book has pearls of wisdom, but just didn't lend itself to being digested in large sittings. I was already using a couple devotionals, so chose to set this aside for the time being.

The Solution by Laurel Mellin--a weight loss book, I found to be interesting in theory. I took it back to the library before digging in.

Hold On to Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Mate, M.D.--I definitely want to read this book. Again a library book that got set aside temporarily.

The Bias Against Guns by John R. Lott, Jr.--I will be reading this. It is a subject that I have personal interest in.

Sabbath, Finding Rest, Renewal and Delight in our Busy Lives by Wayne Muller (This is the book that I would be re-reading.)

Books I read from my list were:

Category 7 by Bill Evans and Marianna Jameson--This was a pretty good book (a full review is in the link). I think it would make the bones for an excellent movie. Could this have been a motivator for the writers?

A Bride So Fair by Carol Cox--This was a sweet read, a stand alone story in a set of three books by Carol Cox. I highly recommend this book of good morals and finding family.

Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix--One of a series of seven, based on the seven deadly sins, I found this to be unusual, but somewhat "lacking" something to grab me. My oldest wanted to read this. I found it to be acceptable for his age, reading level and maturity. I'll see what he says.

Little Britches/Wild Country by Ralph Moody--What a great book!! This has been added to my all time favorite list. I would recommend this book for all ages, either as a read aloud or an individual read. Set in the early 1900s it is the account of the authors childhood years. I laughed loudly and shed many tears with this book.

A Wizard of Earthsea
by Ursula Le Guin--Well done treasure, in very small packaging. This was well worth the read. Le Guin offers a lot of story in very few pages. I'm off reading the sequel, The Tombs of Atuan.

The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton--A techno-thriller from 1969, but still very relevant for today. Crichton is the master of detail in this story of bio-threat from an unknown source. Not a story for every reader, but certainly well done.

At Home in Mitford
by Jan Karon--I'm such a goober! This book has been around forever and I am just now reading it! A true delight and much needed read. If you've not read the Mitford series, what are you waiting for? I am reading the second Mitford story--A Light in the Window.

Preparing for Jesus by Walter Wangerin, Jr.--a wonderful way to prepare our hearts for the coming of the Christ-child. Wangerin offers a fresh look at those who we assume we know all about--those who were at that first Christmas. I highly recommend this book.

The two books I am reading that are sequels are:

A Light in the Window by Jan Karon--the fun and adventure of Father Tim in Mitford continues. I love this series. It is really like family.

The Tombs of Atuan
by Ursula Le Guin--I wanted to continue with Ged, but I am finding myself attached to Tenar/Arha. I am looking forward to Ged's entrance.


Books I read not on the original list included:

Beloved Madeleine L'Engle book A Wrinkle in Time--Oh this was a great read. I should have read it years ago. I read it while Roo was reading it. We both loved it. Looking forward to reading the books that L'Engle wrote to follow up "Wrinkle."

Christmas Out of the Advent Box by Benjamin R. Husted--Somehow I got it in my head that this book was on my FIR list. It wasn't, but I am glad I read through this. I don't agree with all of Husted's theology, but he didn't write it as a book to change someone's denomination. It was written as a help to make Christmas more meaningful. And I think it was well done. I will be incorporating some of his and his family's ideas next year.

Twilight series: Twilight, Eclipse, New Moon, Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer--I read, no flew, through these books with some fascination. These are seductive, well targeted books. I gave a long review of these. I will just say again, here, I do not recommend these books for the under fifteen age group, I would say seventeen would be a good age for these. And I highly, highly recommend parental involvement for young readers.


Full reviews can be found for most books I read via the links at my Joyful Days Reviews and Recipes blog.

Fall Into Reading was courtesy of Katrina at Callapidder Days. Fall Into Reading Participants, Fall Into Reading Reviews, Fall Into Reading Final Particiapants' Posts.

16 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Well there are more books on the books you've read and are reading than the ones you didn't! Don't you just love Jan Karon? I bought The Shack yesterday. I figured I would find out what all the hype is about! I love your book reviews!

Smilingsal said...

Good wrap-up. I agree that the Mitford books is a good series to read. I enjoyed all of them. My post is here.

http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2008/12/fall-into-reading-2008-wrap-up.html

DebD said...

Great list! I also find that spiritually deep books need a break or two (or three) for digesting.

I *loved* Little Britches but haven't read any more in the series. Of course, I've always been a fan of L'Engel and Le Guin and my kids all liked the Nix books.

Lindsay said...

I loved the Mitford series on TV I really need to add that to my list of ones to read next year! Have a Merry Christmas :-)

Carrie said...

Hey! Better late than never on the Mitford series. Now you don't have to wait for the books to come out one by one. You can enjoy them completely!

Have fun!

My Two Blessings said...

Great Wrap up. If you get the opportunity to read "hold on to your kids'.. do. It is an excellent book. I have read a few of jan karon and have another one that haven't had time to read. Will have to put it on the list for Christian Challenge. I thoroughly enjoyed the twilight series as well. I agree that it is for older teens.

Have enjoyed reading your blog. The Christmas decorations are beautiful and good job painting.

I will be hosting a winter reading challenge if you are up for another challenge.

Robin of mytwoblessings

Heidi @ GGIP said...

I think you did quite well. I need to try to get my summary up. I didn't document my reading as well as I had hoped.

The Mitford Series is great! I actually own them all.

Just Mom said...

Congratulations on what you accomplished with the challenge!

Barbara H. said...

I love the Mitford series! I'd love to revisit it some time.

I've seen A Bride So Fair by Carol Cox around and have been wanting to try it.

Tonia said...

Congratulations on your list!

Hold onto your Kids is a very good book - I highly recommend it.

Beth F said...

Good job! I've wanting to read the Nix books for a while now.

Julie said...

Great job with your list, and thanks so much for linking to your reviews...I've added a few to my tbr list for 2009. Have fun reading through the Mitford series...Karon even started a new series based on Father Tim's youth! I know what you mean about the Twilight series, great reads! Have a blessed and Merry Christmas (and I hope you get lots of books lol.)

Nise' said...

Me too! They call me the renew queen at the Library! I flew through the Twilight series too! Glad you liked Wrinkle In Time, I just brought it home from the library.

Katrina said...

You did a great job and got lots of reading in! I was saddened to hear that Michael Crichton passed away this year, since I've enjoyed many of his books. Page-turners, definitely. Thanks again for being part of FIR '08!

Erin said...

Congratulations on accomplishing so much. I hear you about the library, at least you know where to find them.

D Wright said...

Jan Karon invites you to visit her website at www.mitfordbooks.com.
I know you will enjoy her site!
Have a wonderful 2009!