This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Read to Me 2007 Mission


Jennifer at Snapshot has offered at mission dear to my heart. Her Read to Me 2007 Mission (details here) offered a chance to make some solid, written goals for our reading over the next month. I just stumbled onto Jennifer’s blog and was so blessed by what I’ve read there. I hope it’s okay a newbie jumped in a day late.

For both the boys I would like to read J.M. Barrie’s Peter Pan to them. A chapter a day doesn’t seem like a lofty goal, but with the running that seems to be increasing instead of decreasing, it does seem doable. I could even read during the hour of down time between basketball and ballet on Wednesdays. With the warming weather sitting in the van at the park won’t seem like such a bad thing. And it really is too muddy to get out when we have some place to go to after. If we finish early Hugh Lofting's Doctor Dolittle will be up after.

For Roo I would like to finish Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. We have been getting about two nights a week together and it is just not enough. I promised him when we finish this book we can watch the movie together again. He is reading six different books right now on his own (I only assigned three of them—he asked to add the rest) at a rate of a chapter a day. Although I think he is reading three or four chapters of Eragon on his own time. So we have four chapters of Sorcerer’s Stone and then I am sure we will head into Chamber of Secrets, which is fine with me. My goal is to finish that by March 19. It's very possible we will finish and then I want to shift from HP for another genre. Johnny Tremaine by Esther Forbes may be just the ticket.

Boo is the one who never wants to read or be read to. Truth be told, if you can lasso him down and get started, he enjoys it immensely. Especially since Daddy has been home and doing his reading to him daily. (But hopefully Daddy’s interview today will put him back in the employed category, so this is likely not to continue as frequently.) His own reading skills are increasing exponentially even though he will still tell me he “can’t.” “Can’t” really translates into “don’t want to” in Boo-ese. In addition to our already scheduled school reading I think for him I will set our read aloud goal with James Herriot’s Treasury for Children, followed by A.A. Milne’s The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh Collection that we own. Boo has that sense of humor that responds to British writing. I am ever so glad.

Many thanks to Jennifer for starting this. I was inspired. Many encouraging ladies posted some great goals and they’re signed up and linked at her sight. Go read here…and then read some more books to your children. We can never read too much.


Technorati tags:

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Becky, you're not too late at all. I wanted there to be a week where people could sign up and jump in.

You have a great reading list. I think I linked to it in my own post, but your Boo might like Mary Poppins if he likes the British style. It's actually one that you could probably read to all ages in one sitting.

The Wooden Porch said...

This is a wonderful goal! I'm terrible about reading to my kids. I hate it with a capital T, even though I love reading myself. We do listen to books on tape. My husband is always getting on me asking me to sit down and just read a little bit of the Bible to them, but I don't know what my deal it. I just don't like reading out loud.

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

I love your choices, all great books. I just recently read Johhy Tremain for the first time ever and enjoyed it very much.