This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, February 19, 2007

Of Peccaries, Parrots and Parents

The weekend began early Friday morning—about 5 a.m. My nephew had his birthday and in the deep of winter wanted to go to the zoo. What to do??? We went!! After a long drive, we met my sister and her two children. And after a side trip to have cousinly, family pictures taken we went to the zoo.

The zoo in winter is lovely if not only for the fact that there are many people who don’t know that it is worthwhile to visit then. I did not miss the crowds and we were able to take the time to see the animals that were on exhibit.

These are Klipspringers. At first I thought the one on the right was stuffed because it. didn’t. move. For. a. really. long. time. It just stood still so I turned to look at the little meerkats to the side of them and turned back and found the little guy eating. No wonder they can hide so well in the wild!

There were lots of neat plants to look at also. This particular zoo rivals a botanical center in my opinion.

We saw these little peccaries and they make the funniest sounds. They are definitely chatterers.

My heart was stolen by these kit foxes. One of them was intrigued by the bag I was carrying and came as close as he could to inspect me. But as soon as the children caught up to me he hopped back up on his little rock. Not up for the boisterous antics of our brood.

My tapir friends from my Wordless Wednesday picture last week were waiting. I love these guys!! They are funny and sweet and too cute for words.

The parrots were more interesting in preening than posing and I didn’t get as good a shot as the one I have on my sidebar. They were chatty as ever and always a treat to watch.

Here are pictures of all four children. Well, pictures of their hands next to a cast of an orangutan’s hand.

Amazing.



Nothing beats the walk under water in the aquarium. I am no photographer, other than the fact I have a camera and I take pictures. I don’t think that qualifies me for the title photographer. However, I did learn a few things with my camera and am anxious to go back and spend some more time trying again.


After the zoo we bundled the children into the car with their “zooveniers” –can’t go to the zoo without a stop at the zoo shop, and off we went—over the river and through the woods. Another ride. We spent the weekend with the grandparents, where if one child has a birthday, everyone gets a gift. They each received marionettes of what else? …Animals. We were entertained all weekend by puppet shows and the squawking and squeaking of the newest additions.

The visit with my parents was bittersweet. Being a child is, I suppose, a hard task. Being an adult child is sometimes more difficult. There is a fine line of what one should offer to help with or not, what one should say or not, do or not…but all in all it was a fine visit and the children were not ready to leave yesterday afternoon. But after the looooooooooooong ride home, filled with listening to C.S. Lewis’ The Last Battle on audio-book, and as many rest area stops as we could make, they decided they were glad to be headed home to their own beds.

The requests for doing all this again soon have been starting already. Must have been a fun time. I thought so.

2 comments:

Bss said...

Wow! Your weekend sounds like so much fun! I love going to the zoo. And a visit with grandparents.... wonderful! Great pictures! :)

DebD said...

What lovely photos.

I understand your dilemia with the parents. Its a hard balance.

Thanks for your kind words on my blog.