This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, March 30, 2007

Favorite Ingredients Friday--Two Pepper Corn Bread

One of the reasons I was so hesitant to join in with all the talented cooks at Overwhelmed With Joy’s Favorite Ingredient Fridays is because I so rarely use a recipe. I have fallen into the simple and uncreative path of making the basics and doing them by memory. Of course I must not make things the same all the time because DCG says of my stir-fry, “You just never know what you are going to get.”

I frustrate a friend of mine who is an excellent cook, because she asked how I made something and I said, “Well, I just use whatever is on hand.” “WHAT???” she yelled, “You can’t cook like that!!” Thankfully DCG was there to back me up. Because I can and I do. But I’m debating if it was complimentary or not. I do kind of use the pinch, dash, squirt and dump method. I will guarantee that if vanilla is called for I use more than the amount called for.

So I am making you all nervous as to whether you should trust my recipes if I post them, huh? It’s okay…Just repeat after Forrest Gump…”Mama always said, Life is like a box of chocolates…”

I promise to post them as they are written. It’s just when you come to my house, you take your chances. So with no further ado this week I give you…

Two Pepper Corn Bread

1 ¼ cups coarse yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon seasalt
¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 pinches ground cumin
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1 ¼ cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed

8 inch square cake pan, well greased.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Put the cornmeal, flour , and salt into a mixing bowl. Crack the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle or spice grinder—make them as coarse or fine as you like. Add to the bowl with the pepper flakes, cumin, and baking powder and mix thoroughly Make a well in the center.

Beat the egg and milk in a bowl or measuring cup, then pour into the mixing bowl. Stir gently to make a coarse-looking batter—do not beat or over-mix or the cornbread will be tough. Briefly stir in the corn, then spoon into the prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until firm and golden. Turn out onto a bread board, cut into large squares, and eat warm from the oven. If not eating immediately, cool on a wire rack, but eat within 24 hours.

Recipe comes from Bread from Sourdough to Rye by Linda Collister. Personal experience has shown that this does need to be eaten within a day. And I did not have the best results trying to make muffins with this recipe. Not a good experiment. But this is a great cornbread recipe with a kick.

Blessings!

7 comments:

Kathleen Marie said...

Yummm...cornbread with a little kick! I like!

Karen said...

LOL, I have found that sometimes the best meals come from experimenting with dashes of this or that:-) The hard part is when the hubby wants you to recreate it the next time, JUST LIKE THIS, and you have no idea what you did different:-)

annie said...

This sounds great!


Annie
My Life as Annie!

Ribbon Rock Star said...

Sounds great to me!

Linda

Rae said...

That sounds great! I cook like that too, I rarely have a recipe out on my counter for the classics. Sometimes I make it better than the last and wish I would've written it all down, haha. I'll be trying this soon, thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend! =)

Overwhelmed! said...

I have to admit, I actually ENVY you your style of cooking and I think the best cooks are the ones that can create their own recipes on the fly with whatever ingredients are on hand! I'm not a very creative cook and never have been, but I wished I were. :)

I like the looks of your corn bread recipe. I'll have to try it soon!

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

KELLY said...

This sounds Great. We love cornbread here. I'm so the opposite of you. I don't think I'd be able to ever get a dinner on the table with out a recipe in my hand. I've become so reliant on copying others recipes, I can get stuck in a real rut too.