This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Grains of Gratitude

What to say, where to start?

Today I think it is only fitting to express my gratitude for the men and women who are fighting for our country. They may not be fighting on our soil (praise God, may it always remain so!) but they are fighting for us. They and those who have fought before them allow us to worry over silly and trivial things, like whether Rosie said something stupid today and why she has a wife, or whether we should buy Pepsi or Coca-Cola or what’s on sale at Hobby Lobby (my personal trivial concern). Whether or not you support the current politicians in office or the government at all, whether or not you agree with any agendas those people over there are allowing us the freedom to make those choices.

Along those lines I am grateful to the families of those soldiers who stay behind and do without their father/mother/sister/brother/child/relative that is so very precious and important to them. The ones who are faithful. Because lately I have heard some heart-wrenching stories of soldiers coming home to nothing, not only personal financial issues caused by jobs not still being there or debts being pushed, but of coming home to no family, no one waiting, desertion of the most personal level. So for every faithful family member I am grateful.

I am grateful for abundance. It is pretty obvious if you walk into my house there is abundance here. This may not be a pretty neighborhood. My heart is really aching for a home in a better area and some privacy, but I am already blessed with abundance of love from my husband and children. I am blessed with having to choose what we will have for dinner, which book I will read next, which shirt I want to wear tomorrow and what shoes I feel like wearing.

My parents visited this weekend and I am grateful for the opportunity for my children to see their grandparents, to show off in their element. I was grateful that they got to create some memories. I am grateful that my mother was feeling up to the ride, that she is walking and getting around without the wheelchair and that we found a few things that appealed to her tastebuds, as the chemo has made eating pretty unenjoyable. I am grateful that my dad was up for the drive, even though he really doesn't like driving in the city.

I am grateful for a husband who helps me with entertaining guests, even when he has to make an extra trip into work at midnight on a Saturday for “scheduled maintenance” and doesn’t get home until the wee hours of Sunday and then helps some more. And I am still grateful for this job, even though it requires goofy things like “maintenance” to be scheduled when there are the fewest users on the system. Because it wasn’t so long ago that we didn’t have the job to be grateful for.

Praying you have a week filled with things to be grateful for. Blessings to Christine at Brady’s Bunch for starting Grains of Gratitude.

What are you grateful for??

6 comments:

Mimi Lenox said...

I am grateful for peace globes.

Many bloggers, including WW participants, will be flying Peace Globes in the blogosphere on Wednesday, June 6, 2007. It is BlogBlast for Peace day - the second annual event. Please consider using your Wordless Wednesday platforms on this day to participate. You can find more information about the movement at Mimi Writes or BlogBlast for Peace
http://mimiwrites.blogspot.com or http://mimilenox.blogspot.com

Thanks and peace!
Mimi

Jennifer said...

I really appreciated your words of gratefulness today. Also wanted to say thanks for your kind words on my blog...and tell you that I was able to fix my photo positions thanks to your directions. Thanks for the help!

Jennifer

Liza's Eyeview said...

We have many similar things to be thankful for. It's a blessing to read this post which inspired me to be more grateful....always..
Thanks!

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hi julie: i am grateful for you! thanks for your kind email to me a few days ago. and what a treat to come home from our camping weekend and find your grains post waiting for me. thank you for sharing this.

today, i am also grateful that my family had a good long weekend break away camping.

~blessings to you this night, kathleen :)

amy said...

What a beautiful post!

Deborah Hooper said...

I am grateful for a God who, if we will let him can change a bad circumstance into a good one, just by being there.