This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, June 1, 2007

Favorite Ingredient Fridays--Freezer Edition--Cookies

Overwhelmed With Joy is the lovely hostess of Favorite Ingredient Fridays, and this week she is hosting the Freezer Edition. Lots of good freezer recipes to be found there this week.

Since my only freezer is the one attached to my refrigerator and since it is the same size of...oh say...my microwave, it doesn't hold much. But we do have a small chest freezer on our wish list. We used to have a large one a long time ago, a hand-me-down that finally died, but while we had it, it was a blessings. So. I do know the value of a freezer.

I was trying to remember something I froze intentionally, besides leftovers, and remembered that I used to double or triple my cookie recipes and freeze the dough. I would defrost it if company was to show up and voila--warm cookies.

Both recipes come from a favorite "church cookbook." I love those tried and true recipes. These recipes are in the original form. Increase them as desired. As a homeschooling mom I know this is a great math exercise!!!

Skippy Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup shortening
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

Blend together shortening and peanut butter until smooth. Add sugars. Cream, add eggs and vanilla. Cream. Blend in flour, soda, salt and baking powder. Mix until smooth. (At this point I would roll into logs and freeze. Take out when needed, defrost and follow the final instructions.) Drop by teaspoons onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.


Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter flavor Crisco
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups flour
12 ounce bag chocolate chips (I love Ghiardelli)

Cream Crisco, and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. (Here is where you would freeze, and when needed defrost.) Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

I love my Yankee Candles but even my favorite cookie scents can't quite outdo the real thing.

Have a great weekend!!

Just a reminder to let everyone know that next week--June 4-8--I will be giving away 5 new books!! Details for the contest will be up Sunday. Hope to see your name entered!!

5 comments:

annie said...

These cookies sound great Julie!

Thank you for your sweet comments!

Magi said...

Cookies are always good. Thanks!

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I love the idea of making extra cookie dough and freezing it for future use! Why didn't I think of that? :)

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Freezer Edition recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

I hope to see you again next Friday!

Renee's Ramblings said...

What a great ideal! THanks for sharing.

mjpuzzlemom said...

Yum! Cookies... thanks for sharing!


MJ