This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday

I have pondered what I wanted to do for Annie’s TTT and decided to copy Coach Jenny who copied Irritable Mother and I see Barbara H. did the same thing too. My TTT will be about the first “date” with my husband. Which really was more of a spur of the moment, inevitable collision. A happy one to be sure, but it was not a well pondered out thing.

Background…I was the manager of a store in a mall. My future husband was one of my employees. We were both 28 (our birthdays are ten days apart). I really, really loved to go dancing. My sister (who was also my roommate) and I went often to a country bar and boot scooted and waltzed and socialized.

Well…my adorable employee and I had sparks flying between us from moment one (not professional, to be sure) and while I usually closed the store, I was not scheduled to on that particular evening and had plans to go dancing. He was not the cowboy type (more of a GQ dressing guy) but on my way out that evening I suggested he come over to the club and meet us (not unusual—anyone who worked with me was always welcome to join) and he said that finances were a bit tight and maybe some other time. Well I had gone home and changed and told my sister we were stopping back at my store and I ran in and threw some $$ at him and said he had no excuse. (Kind of forward, wasn’t I??)

So shortly after 9 p.m. DCG showed up to my favorite country & western dance spot with dress pants, dress shirt, suspenders and a tie. He danced with not only with me but all my friends who were quite entertained to teach him to two-step. But after a particular slow song it was just him and me.

Less than six roller coaster months later we were married, and almost fifteen years later we still two-step in the living room much to our sons’ entertainment.

Come to think of it, we haven’t done that in a while. When I get over the gimpies we’ll have to give it a whirl again.

7 comments:

annie said...

Aw that is so sweet! Me & matt never really danced... I was raised in a very fundamentalist church that forbid dancing really. He did go to his college formals with other girls (can you believe that?) anyway, I need to learn to dance someday, now that I am not so uptight.
thanks for playing, I loved reading it.

Carrie! :o) said...

Awww, that is just way too sweet! My husband tried to teach me one of those dances ... ya know, I think it was the two-step ... when we were dating. I remember being in his little apratment living room trying to learn, LOL.

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

aw, julie! that was awesome! thanks for sharing such a cute sweet memory. i was the first forward one in the first night i met my husband. sparks were flying for both of us, i just did something to move things along. i wasn't usually THAT bold, but sparks were flying and what's a girl to do, eh?

cute story. sounds like you have a great keeper.

~blessings, kathleen :)

Barbara H. said...

Evidently he liked that amount of forwardness. :) I am enjoying these stories very much.

Jenny in Ca said...

wow, what a sweet story!!

I love stories like that!

Renee's Ramblings said...

All of the TTT are so great! Thanks for sharing.

CoachJ said...

Job well done! So he's a GQ guy and you're a country girl. Hmmmm, would love to see a picture. And I can just picture him with suspenders! and a tie! in a country bar!!! he,he,he.