This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Children's Book Monday--James Herriot's Treasury for Children

children's book review It's time for Children's Book Monday again, hosted by Elise at A Path Made Straight.

Probably something most everyone has read, but something I get excited about each time we pull it out is James Herriot's Treasury for Children. These sweet tales of farm animals and village pets in the Scottish highlands are sure to bring a tear to my eye--and a questioning look from my children. "Is she going to cry??? Again??

James Herriot children's book

James Herriot was a farm vet and author. His well known adult books, the All Creatures Great and Small books were favorites of mine since late in highschool. How wonderful it was for me to find his Treasury for Children when I was at the beginning of our homeschool journey.

My favorite stories are Bonnie's Big Day , a story of an old farmer and his love for the two horses who helped him create his farm and The Christmas Day Kitten, a bittersweet view of how one woman's kindness to a stray cat brought her loss and then happiness--but all eight stories are wonderful and mesmerizing.

The illustrations by Ruth Brown and Peter Barrett are rich and textured. They fit perfectly into the tales.

The nice thing about Herriot's tales is that he writes for both children and adults so as the children get older finding his novels will be like finding a letter from an old friend.

The only problem I see is that if you have a child who is truly an "animal addict" after reading these stories you may be pelted with requests for lambs, kittens, horses and dogs, not to mention an odd pig or an old cow.

9 comments:

Leah in Iowa said...

The cover of this book looks very inviting! What ages do you think it would be appropriate for? Young kids, or 10 and under, or what? Just curious. We are already begged for animals all the time, so that wouldn't be a reason to stop *us* from reading it! =) Thanks for the tip!

Karen said...

James Herriot's books are indeed treasures. My grandmother -- very traditional -- gave my brothers the set when we were kids, thinking they would be great for boys. I devoured every single one of them! I don't think any of my brothers read them. How nice that there's a children's version for younger kids.

aBookworm said...

Oh, I had forgotten about this. He's a great author. Now, I must remember to get his books for my kid!

Joyful Days said...

I would say that you could use it for a read aloud for a child as young as 3 (maybe younger--depends on the child) up to 6 or 7. My 9yo will listen if I am doing it as a read aloud.

Depending on a child's reading level they can start reading it alone or out loud at 7 and might still read it to 8 or 9.

Of course I still enjoy the stories. He was a wonderful author.

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

I think I might be the only person in the free world who has never read a James Herriot book. I suppose I should head off tothe library tomorrow and get one!

Overwhelmed! said...

Okay, I'm jotting these title down to go see if I can find them in our local library. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, I wanted to remind you that I'm launching my Pay It Forward book exchange!

I’m kicking it off with a book giveaway of “Lucky” by Alice Sebold, so please stop by and enter to win! You have until end of day on Friday, 13 July, to enter. :)

Coach J said...

I've not heard of him. And my daughter is an animal lover who's already pelting me with animal requests, so I don't need to fan the flames :)
Thinking of you today!!

Elise said...

Oh my goodness! I almost reviewed this book this week! :) We may need to make sure we communicate our choices - just in case! That would have been funny!

Anyway, we love this, too. So much. I cry, my children watch me closely just like yours. Are we related? :)

Thanks so much for the review!

Diane said...

People should read this.