This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Favorite Ingredients Friday--Healthy Eating Edition--Meatless Manicotti

Meatless Manicotti

Ingredients

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided object
1 (16-ounce) carton fat-free cottage cheese object
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry object
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese object
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano object
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper object
1 (8-ounce) package manicotti (14 shells) object
1 (26-ounce) jar fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
Cooking spray
1 cup water

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.
Combine 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, cottage cheese, and the next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) in a medium bowl. Spoon about 3 tablespoons cheese mixture into each uncooked manicotti. Pour half of tomato-basil pasta sauce into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer over sauce, and top with the remaining sauce. Pour 1 cup water into dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella evenly over sauce. Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until shells are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 2 manicotti)


Nutritional Information:
CALORIES 328(25% from fat); FAT 9g (sat 4.8g,mono 2.2g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 23.8g; CHOLESTEROL 23mg; CALCIUM 451mg; SODIUM 891mg; FIBER 3.9g; IRON 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 38.3g

Credit to Catherine Salzman ,
Cooking Light, MAY 2005

Favorite Ingredient Fridays is hosted by Overwhelmed With Joy Visit her and all the ladies who are participating in the recipe exchange.

11 comments:

Scribbit said...

Oh this I got to try, I love all Italian. Love love love.

Leah in Iowa said...

Looks so good! I'll tuck this recipe away until fall, when it cools off a bit. Thanks!

Jessica said...

I LOVE manicotti! I can't wait to try this one out! Thanks for sharing!

Betsy said...

Sounds yummy!

Renee's Ramblings said...

Your zucchini fritata from last week was fantastic! Thanks for sharing that recipe. I love manicotti and I can't wait to try this one out! Have a wonderful weekend.

Ribbon Rock Star said...

Great recipe!

Linda

Michelle said...

we really enjoy manicotti so I'll have to give this recipe a try - thanks!

timbuck2mom said...

I love manicotti! It always seems to be time-intensive to make but I think if you used canned spaghetti sauce once in a while it would make it a breeze.

Thanks.

Nesting For Natalie said...

Great quote at the top of your blog!!

Amy

Magi said...

This sounds great. Thanks!

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh yummy! I'm going to have to make this soon.

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Healthy Eating Edition recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.