This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Children's Book Monday

Prairie School by Avi

Prairie School by AviRecently Boo read Prairie School by Avi for his Silent Sustained Reading (assigned reading), but this would also make a wonderful read aloud book.

Nine year old Noah has come with his parents to the Colorado prairie. Noah loves his life, his work and his freedom on the prairie, but his parents want more for him. His mother’s sister travels by train from the east coast to teach Noah to read. The problem is—Noah doesn’t want to learn! He sees no use in “schooling.”

Follow Noah and his Aunt Dora through days and nights on the prairie as they struggle to see if Noah will come to see the need to learn.

With Bill Farnsworth’s well done color illustrations, Prairie School paints a captivating portrait of a boy in the 1880s out on the prairie.

Visit Elise who hosts Children’s Book Monday at her blog A Path Made Straight.

8 comments:

A Dusty Frame said...

That sounds like a good one.
I'll have to see if I can find it.
Lizzie

Scribbit said...

Avi has some wonderful stories.

DebD said...

Sounds like a wonderful book. Hey - I love the new look!

Anna said...

Thank you for sharing what looks like another good book!

I love your new header! :)

~Anna

Jennifer said...

This looks like a great book...I'm going to keep an eye out for it for my crew.

Love the new blog look!!

mum2brady said...

Ohhh - we don't have this one - I'll have to check it out!!!

Jennifer said...

Julie...Thanks for checking on me today. :) I finally got a blog post up. I had some pain issues last week that kept me from being at the computer much...and I had *all* these blog posts in my head that I never got to type out. :) Maybe I'll get some of them out this week.

Hope you are having a great week! Still praying for you and your family...Jen

Karen@FamilyBriefs said...

Sounds good - I'll have to check the library for this for my oldest! Thanks for the great review!