This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Children's Book Monday

Tornado

Tornado by Betsy ByarsBetsy Byars has written a superb chapter book for early readers (grades 1-3) that would certainly make a great read aloud also. I stumbled on this story while looking for appropriate readers that discussed real tornados for Boo.

Tornado is a black lab who finds himself deposited in a farmyard by (how’d you guess?) a tornado. The dog’s story is told during another tornado by Pete who found him. Pete is now a grown man and a hired hand on another family’s farm. The family gathers in the storm cellar when a tornado threatens. Pete tells the stories about his dog to give the children something to focus on besides the storm.

Boo read this not too long ago and enjoyed it immensely. He recounted the story to me during car rides and meals. We both liked Doron Ben-Ami’s black and white illustrations.

Children’s Book Monday is home at Elise’s A Path Made Straight. Visit her and all the readers who share a love of children's books.

2 comments:

Elise said...

This looks great for a read-aloud or for my eight year old to read quietly! Dogs and tornadoes - what boy wouldn't love this? (Or girl, for that matter!) Thanks for the review!

VAIL said...

Thanks for the suggestion, am going to get it at the library tonight!