This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Just Call Me Alexander


My "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad" Thursday Thirteen

1. I couldn’t think of thirteen anything to string together coherently—so you are stuck with this.
2. The boys are both sick. Still.
3. And we still HAVE to go somewhere tonight.
4. I’ve had a headache since yesterday. Which means I am likely to get sick.
5. School has not been normal since before…well before mid-August.
6. I am having an “I miss my Mom” day.
7. My hives that started three weeks ago are almost all gone. But I am having nightmares now.
8. The potential for losing it in front of a bunch of people who don’t really know me and don’t really care to is high today.
9. Boo has been having one of his more “interesting behavior” weeks.
10. Auditions are this week and while I hate to sound like a stage mommy, I truly care what happens to my boys. So I am probably more nervous about it than they are—but I would never tell them.
11. My husband will most likely be working this weekend and the next at least eight weekends. He still has to go in normal hours during the week. He just gets to add more hours.
12. He is salaried. So there is no monetary benefit other than keeping his job for all the work.
13. There is a chance, however slight, that we may be obligated to be out of the house six days a week. That is not what a homeschool mom wants to hear—at least not this one.

As I was writing my Terrible Thirteen, I started to be reminded of some positive things though. So not wanting to leave you with my glass half empty, I will give you:

Thirteen Reasons My Glass Is Half Full

1. Once I started writing awful things, I remembered good ones.
2. I have handsome boys who I love and get to care for when they are sick.
3. We have an activity that the boys enjoy to go to tonight.
4. I will feel better soon.
5. We homeschool and it is okay that school has not been “normal.” And we started in July so we were ahead of the game anyway.
6. I had a Mom to miss.
7. My hives are almost gone.
8. I have friends who I will see who will care if I lose it and will be there for me if I do.
9. Both boys are very creative.
10. Auditions are this week. And then they will be over. And the boys have the chance to participate in something very cool.
11. My husband has a job that apparently needs his skills. We didn’t have this from January to April.
12. We have a paycheck to count on to cover our needs and some wants too.
13. We have a home to come home to.

So…I guess, while my head still hurts, I am in a better place than I was at the start of writing.

How are you today? Is your glass half full or half empty? Or is it like mine--both?

THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE THURSDAY THIRTEEN:The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. What do you do? Write Thirteen things about yourself, summarize your week in one entry, make it easy for other bloggers to get to know you on a weekly basis. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!

14 comments:

Joyismygoal said...

aww I am glad you were able to turn yourself around so quickly you need to come see my post very similar in idea and ending

Cindy Swanson said...

Good for you! I was getting ready to commiserate with you on all the bad stuff, but it's great that you were able to remember the good stuff! You ended up on a very positive note. I hope your day ends up being wonderful...and I hope you don't get sick!

Nancy J. Bond said...

Those two lists are a lovely balance. I hope your boys recover quickly--seems once school starts, the colds never end. Happy TT!

Vickie said...

This is my first time doing the Thursday Thirteen and out of those I have looked at today yours is the best. From the negative you brought forth the positive. Maybe next week I'll have to try the Wordless Wednesday I love your pics of the tortoise

Barbara H. said...

My youngest just came home from school sick this morning. I sure hope it isn't catching!!

I almost posted a "13 things that make me crabby," but didn't want to be so negative -- maybe I will do that some time and balance it out with the positive as you did. :)

Deb - Mom of 3 Girls said...

I'm usually the same way - the bad stuff just leaps right out at me, but when I sit down and think about it, there's a lot of good things too. :)

Leah in Iowa said...

I'm so glad you stuck it out long enough to see that there was some positive (no matter how small) in your first list. It shows you are a positive person who thinks positively! Good for you! =)

I'm just curious, but why would you need to be out of your house for six days next week? Just lots of obligations? I'll be praying for you!

L^2 said...

Hope you and your boys are feeling better soon. And I do the same thing to sometimes - at first all the bad things stand out but then when I start thinking the good stuff appears too.

Karen said...

I hope everything gets better for you soon...and we are here for you to...rant or rejoice:) Take care!!!

Mama Pajama said...

Good job looking at the brighter side...it helps right? Have a great week!

Qtpies7 said...

Mine is both, too. Some, well MANY, things stink right now, but if I didn't own a washer, dryer, freezer, furnace and 3 vehicles they wouldn't break down. Ok that was backwards, I HAVE them all, they just happened to have all broke down at once. And my husband has a job that allows overtime!

Coach J said...

good for you! I'm glad you have a good list to go against the not-so-good list.
Will you respond to this? I need to clear up a comment I made to you. Thank you.

annie said...

Yay ~ half full!!!
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·’ * Annie *

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hi julie:
you're still in my prayers friend. thank you for the sweet good mail card you sent yesterday. you made me smile. you are such a dear to me.

i love how you said you had a mom to miss. great perspective.

come and see me when you can.

love you friend,
kathleen :)