This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

That's Just the Way It Is...

A Day’s Dazed Reality
Alternately Titled:

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy
The Van Driving of the Sugar Plump Fairy

Cue the Tchaikovsky. Taste the bon bons, smell the Arabian Coffee and Chinese Tea and feel the pink tulle floating by…well no, not really. Except maybe the bon-bon part. And I do like coffee. Yes, I really do. Tea is nice. Well Tchaikovsky does get played a lot, come to think of it, both on the CD player and the piano.

Just skip the tulle. No one, really no one, around this house of testosterone will touch tulle. Even the Lone Lady (me) who owns very little pink and absolutely NO tulle.

The Sugar Plump Fairy—yep, 's'pose that’s me. Sugar is our friend and more so when combined with chocolate and Plump?? Egads!! Times two or three, but the Sugar Fat Fairy just didn’t have the same ring. So I’ll stick with plump.

So the reality of many days…?

My cell phone rings. It is my sister. We are trying to coordinate calendars so we can actually, you know, see each other. She is working (she is always working). She says, “What are you doing?” and then already knows the answer. Because it is what I am always doing (so it seems).

“I am in the car, driving to dance.”

I got that line from a dance forum I visit—obviously another parent. How is it that the mother of two sons is embroiled in the Nutcracker season (oh yes, it starts this early!! In fact it started mid-October!)? If anyone was concerned about me when they learned we homeschool they were even more terribly confused when they find that our main extra-curricular activity involves…dance. Specifically ballet. Cue the confused and speculative looks.

If they were going to ask the, “What about socialization?” question, they are now really curious as to the answer. Yes there is a social life for young gentlemen who pursue the actually challenging, tough, athletic and artistic life of a dancer. We are grateful our studio is home to at least eleven young men, ages six to sixteen, who know the difference between a tendu and a touchdown. And can talk about both. The boys’ dressing room is a zone of chaos and hi-jinx. Somewhat quieter than a hurricane and no pink allowed.

And the boys’ moms are a bit of a different breed. We worry about whether or not tights are opaque and the other necessary accoutrements for boys. We are grateful for the knowledge we will not have to be buying pointe shoes, ever, at no less than $50 a pair (often higher). And endure dirty looks from a minority of girls’ mothers who believe our children are shown favoritism and their darlings are discriminated against. But that is another story. Which I choose to totally ignore.

For better or worse, my days are filled with young men using my furniture for springboards. They may be channeling Spiderman or Drosselmeyer. They might be asking to play Sonic the Hedgehog or if they can show me their latest soubresaut. Our school day has been enlarged to include study for a spelling and vocabulary test which one child needs to advance to the next level (of dance, not grade). But the benefit of that is now he knows the difference from an accent grave and an accent aigu. And he is acquiring a passable French accent. Sadly it is most used to imitate Inspector Clouseau saying, “I would like to buy an ‘amberger!!”

Ooops sorry!! Must run! It’s time to pack up the bon-bons…we’re getting in the car…and driving to dance.

8 comments:

freetofly said...

Too funny, girl! Too funny! I am sure it is not as bad all that. I struggle w/that feeling as well sometimes!

Sounds like you are "buckled-in" and enjoying the ride!

Blessings to you in all your travels! :)

freetofly said...

Too funny, girl! Too funny! I am sure it is not as bad all that. I struggle w/that feeling as well sometimes!

Sounds like you are "buckled-in" and enjoying the ride!

Blessings to you in all your travels! :)

DebD said...

Whew! I thought I was busy. I can't imagine adding in another things. I can only imagine the looks family gave about your boy's dancing.

Drive safely

freetofly said...

P.S. Julie,

You have an award at my place, when you get time, no hurry, com epick it up!

blessings to you,
Maria

Leah in Iowa said...

I'm so glad that you're enjoying the freedom and flexibility of homeschooling, and taking part in extra-curricular activities! Dance has GOT to be good for the boys in more ways than one! =)

Renee's Ramblings said...

Too funny! Thanks so much for the laughs -I really needed them today. Sounds like y'all are very busy but having some great fun (and a great, well rounded education too!)

sheryl said...

What crazy, hectic fun!! Best wishes to the guys on their performances!
Have a great week...in the car ;)

Jenny in Ca said...

what a neat post, I loved this peek into a the boy-dancer's mom's world.

thanks for sharing.

i feel like I'm always driving, too- and I know it will only get worse as my kids get into the teen years, eeek!