This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Winter Drive


The sun was ferocious and yet no heat reached the ground. The sky was delft blue, frosted where it met the horizon. The view was spectacular and frigid, temperature a balmy 6 degrees Fahrenheit.

As my passenger and I drove along I was amazed at the sparse, Iowa winter countryside, though I have it memorized from years of exposure; and once again I was filled with desire to return. I am not sure what it is about the fields and lonely stretches of road that call like a siren to my heart. Could it be the calm eyes of the angus and Hereford faces I pass? Could it be the broken corn stalks, remnants of the harvest that seems so far, far past? I am sure if I returned to reside I would curse the bitter winters and the humid summers. But perhaps it is because I grew up here. Perhaps it is because when I drive these roads there are memories.

There is no promise of work here for my husband. My children’s preferred extra-curricular activity could not be pursued at the accustomed level. And yet every time I return there is a little voice that whispers, “Peace. Slow down. Stay.”

As I age, my joints and muscles suggest warmer views, consistent and moderate temperatures. My mind knows that instead of moving closer, I will most likely move farther afield. And if family moves, it is likely I would have no reason to return. That thought makes me sad. For now, I enjoy the step away from the hustle and bustle that I see from my front and back door at home most days.

6 comments:

Donna said...

I was born in Iowa, attended one-room schools there. I love it too, and have many fond memories.

Heidi @ GGIP said...

How interesting as the country is looking at Iowa tonight in a much different way.

Renee's Reading Corner said...

WOW!!! You had me in the seat beside you driving down the highway. I felt what you felt, saw what you saw. (And I've never been to Iowa) Great prose!

P.S. Although I am missing snow, I don't think I would be missing the "balmy 6 degrees"-LOL!

Leah in Iowa said...

Yep - that's Iowa! =)

Sonya said...

I can totally relate to these feelings. The difference is that I live only a little more than an hour from family and where I grew up. I can visit often and I should do that more.

BTW, I finished reading the Jerome Teel novel you sent me back in October. I am giving it away on my blog and just wanted you to know that I'm "paying it forward". Thanks for the opportunity to read the book! I did enjoy it!

freetofly said...

I can so very much picture this. You created a grand visual! We had many of these these feelings everytime we visited my folks for their 10 years in the mountains. Like you, we knew there was not an obvious way to make a living for my husband or even myself. Limited opportunities for our sons. Yet, it beckoned.

But, for us it worked out, it is now very clear, here is where we are meant to be and my parents moved back this June - Ya-hoo!

What a contrast of your view of Iowa as compared to the caucuses and all that entails!

You got the way-better deal!

prayers for you and yours...going back home is always bitter-sweet! I pray you have a peace & a hope that fuels your next month!

Maria