This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Monday, December 31, 2007

How Many Books Did I Manage to Squeeze In?

How many books did I read in 2007? I read 50 books. How many were really on my lists? The Spring Reading Thing had 17 on my list. I read 17 books but skipped seven on the list. The Fall Into Reading Challenge had 13 on my list. I read 14 books, eight on the list and six not on the list. So I got distracted thirteen times. I have twelve books that I really should start 2008 with. And they're really good books, I am sure!

What happened to distract me? Well The Morland Dynasty was a consuming passion this year. I gave up soap operas long ago. I rarely watch television. This series has ignited a love & respect for history and carried me along with the characters. I am on book 20 of the series. Ummm...I'm pretty sure that's 40% of my reading! And there's ten more to go!

I found some new authors that I will be reading more of. In fact I enjoyed almost every book I read. There was really only one I didn't like and one gave me a lot to disagree with think about. I found that there is a wonderful treasure in the Christian fiction world these days. The calibre of Christian writers has really impressed me. I still like fantasy and I like historical fiction more than ever. I didn't read any biographies in 2007. There were a couple I read in 2006, so I want to include more of those.

I did not count any of the craft books I checked out from the library. That would have added to the list, but in reality they distracted from my reading. My rubber stamping and my cross-stitch benefited though. I also read and browsed a lot of health books, diet books and exercise books. Maybe if I read them a little more and eat a little less there will be a thinner me for the new year. I also only counted one homeschool book and that was The Unprocessed Child. I need to read a few more of those for next year.

All in all 2007 was a great year for reading. I need to focus on a plan for the year to come so I can fit in a few more books. My "to read" list is quite extensive, I just need to figure out some priorities.

What titles did I read? Here is the list. I linked the titles I reviewed.

* The Queen's Fool--Phillipa Gregory
* Destination Void--Frank Herbert
* Hunters of Dune--Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
* Lord Foul’s Bane—The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson
* Ida B by Katherine Hannigan
* The Founding--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* My Sister's Keeper--Jodi Picoult
* The Dark Rose--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* Searching for Mary Poppins--Susan Davis and Gina Hyams, editors
* The Princeling--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Illearth War--The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson
* The Age of Innocence--Edith Wharton
* Healing ADD--Daniel G. Amen, M.D.
* Outlander--Diana Gabaldon
* The Oak Apple--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Black Pearl--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Virgin's Lover--Philippa Gregory
* Physik--Angie Sage
* The Open Door-Entering the Sanctuary of Icons and Prayer--Frederica Mathewes-Green
* The Long Shadow--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Hurried Child--Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon--David Elkind, Ph.D.
* The Chevalier--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Unprocessed Child–Living without School--Valerie Fitzenreiter
* At the Crossing Places--Kevin Crossley~Holland
* The Maiden--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Flood-Tide--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Tangled Thread--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows--J.K. Rowling
* Crime and Clutter--Cyndy Salzman
*Gone with the Groom--Janice A. Thompson
* My Side of the Mountain--Jean Craighead George
* The Emperor--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Victory--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Regency--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Road--Cormac McCarthy
* The Campaigners--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Other Boleyn Girl--Phillipa Gregory
* Memoirs of a Geisha--Arthur Golden
* The Reckoning--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Brink of Death --Brandilyn Collins
* The Devil's Horse--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* Kingdom Wars I: A Hideous Beauty--Jack Cavanaugh
* The Divine Appointment--Jerome Teel
* The Heritage of Lancaster County: The Shunning--Beverly Lewis
* The Heritage of Lancaster County: The Confession--Beverly Lewis
* The Poison Tree--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Sovreign's Daughter--Susan May Warren and Susan K. Downs
* Nutcracker Nation--Jennifer Fisher
* The Abyss--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
* The Hidden Shore--Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

7 comments:

kim said...

Great List---LONG list! Hooray for you. :) I totally relate to the feeling of needing a plan for my reading. I have posted pictures of all my books stacking up here. Hence, the reading challenges I joined! Those forced me to make a plan--there is just enough structure to keep me on track, but there is room for other books that pop up to be read also! :)

That is one hefty series you are caught up in..wow! I used to be a series reader, but not so much anymore. I think because of all the neglected books staring at me on the shelf!

Happy Reading 2008!
*smiles*
Kim

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

What a great list! There are several on there I want to add to my list. Thanks for sharing the books you have read!

Leah in Iowa said...

Great list! I checked out the Morland website, and will consider reading those myself for 2008. I wonder if my library has them? I'll check.

Two recommendations for you, since you like the historical fiction books. Try Liz Curtis Higgs' trilogy - you'll love them! (Thorn in My Heart, Fair is the Rose, and Whence Came a Prince)

The other one is the Zion Covenant books (9 in all) by Brock and Bodie Thoene. These tell the story of the prelude to WWII in Europe. Great books!

Happy New Year, Julie!

~ Leah

DebD said...

Wow! Your list is so LONG! And, varied too. I think I'm going to try and keep better track of what I read for 2008.

Heidi @ GGIP said...

I would LOVE to keep track of my reading next year. I need to think of a system to do that real quick if I mean to really do it. I just love reading these book reading wrap ups.

I mean to read those Beverly Lewis books as I live pretty close to amish country here.

Happy New Years Eve!!!

Heidi @ GGIP said...

Hey, you won the $10 gift card with the reading challenge. Yay for you.

Jenny in Ca said...

Goodness, that is a big list! Good for you for getting it done!

I see a few I am thinking of reading next.