This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, May 30, 2008

Stain of Guilt and Dead of Night by Brandilyn Collins

Hidden Faces Series: Stain of Guilt and Dead of Night by Brandilyn Collins

Coach Jenny gifted me with four Brandilyn Collins books. A while back I reviewed the first, Brink of Death. I started Stain of Guilt recently. When I finished I immediately grabbed for Dead of Night—which I finished in one sitting that ran into the wee hours. I could. Not. Put. It. Down.

Throughout the Hidden Faces series Annie Kingston is at the beginning of her career as a forensic artist. Through gruesome murders she is being led into some intense and frightening situations. How will she respond to her new career?

She is also being led on another journey—a journey to the Heavenly Father, to the King of Kings. How will she respond to the most important call of her life?

Brandilyn Collins creates a familiar character in Annie Kingston—while not everyone will become a forensic artist, everyone is faced with choices. Annie is a parent trying to raise two children alone, after their father walks out on them. Annie has lost both parents and her sister, Jenna, is her sole relative. Annie can feel, can hear God calling her, and like so many must decide how she will answer that call.

The Hidden Faces series is edgy and at times thrilling and gruesome. It is very fast paced, not at all difficult to read, but sometimes very hard to put down.

The first two books in the series were very good, but so far I would have to say Dead of Night was the best. In her acknowledgments Collins states that she didn’t really want to write this particular story, but felt called to do so. I can see what she means. I can’t say I like the story itself, but it was well written, gripping and researched thoroughly. It has a message and it is powerful.

To note: the Hidden Faces series are violent, not gratuitously so, but they are murder mysteries. They could be headlines on any of our nightly news. If that type of genre is not your choice read with caution. The books, though, are definitely written unapologetically from a Christian bias. How Collins managed to meld those two fact amazes me.

Brandilyn Collins has written several other books. I intend to check them out.

5 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Okay...I am going to have to get out a pen and start writing these down! But it's great. Thanks for the reviews. And thanks ever so much for commiserating with me on my post today. That sure meant a lot to me and made me smile-BIG!

Coach J said...

Ha!! I know exactly how you feel! And, I read those books in the "Dead of Night"--pun intended.
You definitely tell the truth: these books could be today's headlines.
I'm so glad you enjoyed them :0)
(( ))

sheryl said...

Great review! I've just ordered the first from paperbackswap.com and have the others on my wish list...thanks! :)

~ Brandilyn Collins said...

Julie, so glad you enjoyed these books. That series is pretty intense, I agree.

There's a fourth and final in the series--Web of Lies. It's, uh ... creepy.

Blessings.

Carrie said...

Thanks Julie. Those books sound right up my alley. I'll have to check them out.