This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Are You Approachable?

No the painting's not done? Why do you ask--oh, I told you to. Well the taping and covering with plastic is started. I did 500lbs of laundry yesterday at the laundromat.

Did you know it is possible to read for two hours and not be interrupted except to move the loads from the washer to the dryer? No? I didn't either. It was a really cool experience. Except that it kept me from my plan.

The husband was home working. The boys stayed with him doing schoolwork. I went off, free as a lark to do laundry. Who knew it could be fun? Who knew?

Thanks for your prayers for Roo. He's still a little sore. We're cautiously watching. Parenting is oooooooooooooh so hard. I often question God and wonder why He trusted me with such precious gifts. I need to pray more.

So for a few minutes before I go make a terrible mess, I'll offer my odd thoughts and a quiz.

Blogthings is almost always entertaining. Often they have some quiz that hits a nerve or a funny bone. This particular one coincided with a post that has been rumbling around in my head for a while. The idea first:

I was thinking, if someone used their five senses individually how would I appear?

Touch--I feel like: a pillow for my kids

Hearing--I sound like: my mother, my sister, a broken record

Smell--I smell like: hopefully you won’t smell me unless you are very close and then it will be a little lavender and a trace of perfume

Taste--I taste like: I don’t know, but the dog licks me occasionally and so does the cat—wait, they also forage in the trash—that might not be good…bad one.

Sight--This was the sense that got me started thinking the most because...

I must look like: a store employee--people will often come up to me in a store and ask me if I know where a certain item can be found, or if I have tried Product X and did I like it, or what is my opinion on a certain item, or do I do beadwork and how would I recommend getting started?

Aisle 6, yes I like it, haven't used it, and I'd say don't start because it's addictive and there is no such thing as having enough beads. Oooops...

I obviously look like: a tall person who can reach the top shelf. This particular one blessed me because I have had people in wheelchairs and older people ask me to reach things for them. They chose me when I wasn't the only one in the aisle. That blessed me. I also had a mom who was considerably shorter than I was ask me and enjoyed helping her too. She said she thought they'd get mad if she started climbing the shelving or let her children.

And, even before children I must have looked like: a mommy, I've had lost children come up to me, one sibling approached me because her sister was stuck in the basket-type swing at a park, at my sons' activity I've helped with hair and lost items and entertainment--I used to keep a large variety of card games in my bag. This has always blessed me too, that children aren't afraid to come up to me.

And for all of my crotchety-ness I must look like: someone who will listen. People have told me startling things about their lives in what started as conversations meant to pass the time. Most recently I've heard about the loss of a parent and the loss of a son. This bothers me sometimes because I never know what the right things are to say. So I pray a lot, but never enough, I am sure.

I wondered about posting this. I was afraid it could be construed as more than it was--a look at my reflection in the mirror of others. Most often I feel like I come up lacking. More times than not I'm sure I've been a poor example of Christian love. But the times I've actually been able to provide something for someone else have always and undoubtedly blessed me more than anyone I might have helped.

Which leads to the quiz:

Are You Approachable?




You Are Very Approachable



You can talk to anyone, and it shows. People are eager to start conversations with you.

You are open and friendly. You are willing to connect with almost anyone.

While it's great to be approachable, there is such a thing as too approachable.

Eventually someone will try to take advantage of you. Don't be afraid to say no or end an awkward conversation.



So, are you approachable? And, if you are so inclined--how do others perceive you if they use their five senses?

Off to paint. Replacements for the dryer and washer are showing up on Saturday. Guess what I got for Christmas?

8 comments:

Renee said...

Well, I'm "fairly approachable"; bet's that due to my being shy around strangers.

Congrats on your Christmas presents. Still, two hours of uninterrupted reading? WOW!

Stop on by my blog when you get a chance. There's an award for you; play along only if you want.

Linds said...

Very Approachable too. Well, I rather excpected that after all the fascinating conversations in supermarket queues!

luvmy4sons said...

Too funny! I ddn't know one could do laundry and read and NOT paint all at the same time! WOW! I would do the quiz but I know my results would be the same as yours! LOL! I will do it later and let you know! Meanwhile I got to find a way to do school and yet not do school...any ideas?

Carrie said...

Merry Christmas. Enjoy your new machines!

I'm "very approachable" too. People do seem to want to tell me things. I've always figured it's because I look so non-threatening. I look like a Mom. Or a Grandma.

Mom2three said...

Great Post!!! Made me think about how approachable I really am. My hubby says I'll talk to anyone and our 10 yro has inherited that gene as well. I love talking to people, but I'm afraid that I'm probably not as approachable as I should be. It's something I know I need to work on.

luvmy4sons said...

I actually had different results this time. LOL!:

You are a fairly friendly person, and you're definitely not scaring people away.
You do tend to have your guard up strangers, and rightfully so.

How approachable you are depends on who is trying to approach you.
You're friendly to people who seem harmless and nice. But you also know how to give creepy people the cold shoulder!

MoziEsmé said...

What a blessing to be approachable! I genuinely care about people and want to be that way, but it takes concentrated effort for me.

Heidi @ GGIP said...

I haven't taken the test yet, but I don't think I look very approachable because I mind my own business. I'm hoping that this is the case beacuse I hope it's not because I don't look nice!!!!

Lol, that's really funny about how people think you must look like a store employee!