This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Inquiring Minds

Do you go for bulk or individual/normal serving size when you shop?

Like everyone else, I'm always wondering how to save money. I'm not so sure I'm good at it, but I think about it a lot. With two growing boys, the food budget is increasing, the clothes are getting outgrown quicker and there's just always "something more" that needs to be had.

I don't mind paying a little more for quality (not brand names, but quality), but if I can buy something cheaply I am never too proud for a bargain. At Sam's or Costco the perception is that by buying in bulk, you are saving money. But I've found, like everyone else I'm sure, that if you do the math it isn't always true.

And when things are bought in bulk there can be waste. I hate throwing things away. It makes me sad and it is frustrating. An example is green beans. We eat them often enough that I could see buying a case, but the quality seems to vary so much from can to can, let alone brand to brand. It is a blessing I suppose that we are not hungry enough to eat them even if they are rubbery and tasteless. I would hate to buy a case, only to find the quality is poor. So I continue to buy two or three at a time at the "regular" store.

What do you find worth buying in bulk? What do you buy regular size at the grocery store? And then the million dollar question--Where do you store all the stuff?? Is it really cost effective if you are piling stuff up in the hall way and tripping over it?

And the off-shoot of the topic is, if you do fast food do you super-size and split meals, buy just what you want, buy individual servings, but no supersize?? I know the correct answer is, "Stay out of the fast food joints!" But sometimes life gets in the way.

So what do you do? Inquiring minds want to know.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Nuts of all kinds are way cheaper in bulk at Sam's Club. I store them in the deep freeze. We use quite a few raisins, so that's something else I buy there. I once bought 50 pounds of popcorn there and kept it in the freezer. It took a year to use it all. Rice, if you use a lot of it, is much cheaper by bulk.

Leah in Iowa said...

Donna definitely has the right idea! Why? Because I do the same thing and purchase the same items as she does! Two of us can't be wrong, can we? =)

I would look into joining a buying club, or food co-op, if I were you. The same company that delivered here in Iowa also delivered to my parents in South Dakota. It's called United Natural Foods - check them out!

Barbara H. said...

We don't have the storage space to buy in bulk, and so many things would spoil if we had a lot of them.

I was wondering the other day, when I found out at the checkout that the 10-lb bag of potatoes was only $2 and the 5-lb, bag I had picked up was $3.69, whether it would be better to get the bigger cheaper bag even though even the smaller bag spoils before we use them all.

There are some things, like milk for my MIL in her room at the assisted living place, that we get in the individual serving size because the bigger size would spoil before she used it.

Renee said...

We buy bulk at Sam's but only on certain things that we know are a good deal (rice, pasta, etc). We used to buy a lot more but I'd spend way too much and we weren't saving anything. Aaron usually does the Sam's shop because he has better will power to resist all the neat stuff they sell!