This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Dear Lady Who Blessed Me at Wal-Mart,

Thank you kind lady at Wal-mart.

The other evening I mistakenly thought I might make a quick trip to Wal-Mart. Five items on my list. Well, the words quick and Wal-Mart never should be used in the same sentence.

Fifteen items and about 45 minutes later I was standing deciding which line was less than five deep. So I decided to be brave and attempt the self-check out lane that Wal-Mart has so graciously installed. Have I mentioned I am technically challenged? Apparently I have gotten more technically challenged with age and children. I find the self-checkout lane to be incredibly intimidating. Why this is, I have no clue because I was a grocery clerk from the ages of sixteen to twenty-one. I at one time was able to check groceries. Don’t know if it is the fact that motherhood has sucked every ounce of confidence out of me or what.

But there I was and I needed to get out of there. I really only did have fifteen items and none of them were from the Pharmacy area nor from the alcohol aisle. So I was proudly unloading my cart when I came to…the bag of un-ground coffee. Could I ring up coffee at the self-check lane? Had Wal-Mart planned for such an occurrence??? Was I really that unadvanced that I was worried about it?

The Wal-Mart associate “overseeing” my lane was pointedly ignoring me. The kind lady behind me did not get huffy. What she did was gently ask if she might help and got me and my coffee weighed and purchased. Well the coffee got weighed. And I paid. She was smiling and she was gracious.

Really, I suppose it is a boring story. But I was blessed in this day of “hurry up and get out of my way” that a stranger would take a moment to help without making me feel like a total dweeb. It doesn’t take much. It really is the little things.

3 comments:

Mrs. Pear said...

Good Morning!

I have found the same thing at Home Depot - that the clerk overlooking it seems to studiously avoid me, and if my coupon errors out they look at me like I must be incompetent!

It is surprising what a huge difference it makes when someone extends gentle grace to us - it changes the whole day!

Have a great day, and thank you for extending gentle grace to me through your comments.

Jenny in Ca said...

so true, how nice of the person behind you. Sadly, we see less of this kind of helpfulness, not more.
Glad you were blessed.

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

What a sweet lady, if only there were more like her!