This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, April 20, 2007

Favorite Ingredients Friday--Spinich Lasagna

This week Overwhelmed With Joy is hosting the Vegetarian Edition of Favorite Ingredients Friday
Spinach Lasagna
by the Editors of Easy Home Cooking Magazine
Ingredients:
5 uncooked lasagna noodles
Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1-1/2 cups low-fat (1%) cottage cheese or reduced-fat ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained*
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley


Preparation:
1.Prepare noodles according to package directions, omitting salt; drain. Rinse under cold water; drain.

2.Coat large skillet with cooking spray. Add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano and red pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3.Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine cottage cheese, Romano cheese, egg whites and bread crumbs in medium bowl. Stir spinach into cottage cheese mixture. Cut noodles in half crosswise. To prevent sticking, spread 2 tablespoons tomato sauce in bottom of ungreased 8-inch square baking dish. Layer 4 noodles over sauce, overlapping slightly. Top with half of spinach-cottage cheese mixture. Layer 4 more noodles over top, slightly overlapping noodles. Top with half of tomato mixture. Repeat layers, ending with tomato sauce mixture.

4.Cover and bake 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese melts. Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 4 pieces before serving.

For more wonderful recipes every Friday and for vegetarian recipes today go visit Favorite Ingredients Friday hosted by Overwhelmed With Joy

9 comments:

Jammy said...

What a healthy sounding lasagna. Good way to get those greens in, though I love them alone, too. Lil vinegar and I'm golden.

Thanks for this one!
JEnn

Lorie said...

Spinach Lazagna is absolutely my favoratie. thanks for sharing!

Jessica said...

This sounds wonderful! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen Marie said...

Yeah! Another wonderful lasagna recipe. This looks delicious PLUS healthy...you can't beat that!

Liza's Eyeview said...

I ate this Spinach Lasagna once in a volunteer party and I was looking for a good recepi since then. Thanks for posting this!

ChupieandJ'smama said...

This looks really good and that picture of it is making me hungry :) Thanks for sharing!!

crissybug said...

I love lasagna...and usually put spinach in mine when I make it. I will have to try this meatless one. Thanks!

Rae said...

Yum! I've seen tons of recipes for this but I just keep forgetting to try it out. I have to now, it sounds too good to pass up. Thanks for sharing, have a great weekend! =)

Overwhelmed! said...

I love lasagna and this recipe sounds so yummy and healthy. I'm printing it out to try soon!

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Vegetarian Edition recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

I hope to see you again next Friday!