This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Bygones

CAN A WOMAN RETURN TO HER MENNONITE ROOTS AFTER SHE'S BEEN AWAY TWENTY-FIVE YEARS?

Kim Vogel Sawyer's Bygones

After being shunned by her parents for marrying someone outside the Mennonite community, widow Marie Koeppler left her childhood home and never looked back. It was too painful. Now, nearly twenty-five years later, she's stunned to see her former beau walk through the doors of the truck stop where she waitresses. He brings unexpected news.

Marie's aunt has died, and to everyone's surprise, she's left herhouse, belongings, and café to Beth, Marie's daughter. But there'sone catch. To receive her inheritance, Beth must come and live within the Mennonite community for a period of no less than threemonths. Beth determines to live there so she can pay her mother back for all the sacrifices Marie made for her growing up.

Marie returns with Beth to help her adapt to the Mennonite lifestyle and finds more than her lost beau waiting for her. It isn't long beforeshe finds herself wanting to remain. Beth, however, finds herself living under a shadow of suspicion when homes are broken into and antiques are stolen. Loyal to her daughter, yet missing the simplistic lifestyle, Marie is once again faced with a heart-wrenching decision.

Kim Vogel Sawyer has written two novellas for Heartsong Presentsand the popular novel Waiting for Summers Return. She writes gentle stories of hope, offering her readers encouragement. Bygones is the first book of the Sommerfeld Trilogy.

I went ahead and read at least two chapters out of each book yestersay. Let me say it was HARD to put each one down. They are so very different, but all so very easy to get lured into. So if they end as well as they start they will be very good reads.

Also it looks like I will have a new book giveaway next week. Just a single book this time. And it looks good. Again a totally different perspective. I really like variety. More info to come.

This is one of five books in the giveaway this week. Don't forget to leave a comment for this post or any one of the other review posts & link back to the rules post.

Book 1: Gone With the Groom
Book 2: Crime and Clutter
Book 3: Veil of Fire
Book 5: Fair Game

7 comments:

Dapoppins said...

sounds interesting. Why was it hard to get into?

DebD said...

This sounds interesting too... although my top pick is still Crime and Clutter.

Joyful Days said...

dapoppins--It was HARD to put down. Each of the five books are so very easy to be drawn into. I've loved Beverly Lewis's books set in Amish and Mennonite communities. So this appealed to me right away.

Deb, Crime & Clutter is good enough just for the recipes. But the story is good too!!

CoachJ said...

Sign me up for this one too.

Barbara H. said...

This one sounds really good!

Carey said...

I can't wait to read this book, i love amish based books. One of my favorite authors is Beverly Lewis.

Queen Of My Domain said...

This one sounds like a pretty interesting topic. Hopefully I will get a chance to read it.