This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Veil of Fire

HISTORICAL FIRE PROVIDES BACKDROP FOR MYSTERY
Marlo Schalesky Paints Compelling Word Picture in VEIL OF FIRE

Hinckley, Minnesota is going up in flames and a mysterious “being” sets up camp at the edge of town in Marlo Schalesky’s May 2007 release, VEIL OF FIRE. Coping with the loss of loved ones and belongings is hard enough, but Hinckley citizens are also encountering a monster. Or is it a ghost? Something didn’t burn up in the fire and Hinckley folks aren’t quite sure if that’s a good thing or bad.

Marlo Schalesky uses the facts from the worst firestorm in Minnesota history—the fire of 1894— as the backdrop for VEIL OF FIRE. Her lyrical prose is woven deftly into the harsh reality of a fire that consumed 400 square miles and killed 418 people in just four hours. Hinckley of today still isn’t sure what or who the monster was that the fire left behind. Perhaps, though, Schalesky’s story can solve that mystery once and for all.

Schalesky is the author of four books and a regular columnist for Power for Living. She has been published in Focus on the Family, Decision, Moody Magazine, Today’s Christian Woman, Discipleship Journal, and others. In addition, she was named 2001 Writer of the Year at the Mount Hermon Christian Writers' Conference.

This is one of five books in the giveaway this week. Don't forget to leave a comment for this post or any one of the other review posts & link back to the rules post.

I've received all five books now and I am just wowed. It is so tempting to just sit down and start reading with no stopping. But people around here like to have clean clothes and eat. What is UP with that????
I did start Veil of Fire last night. Wow...(articulate there, hmmm...) it grabbed me in the first sentence. Always a good sign.

I am going to do something I never do, tomorrow while the boys have their last baseball/PE class I am going to start all five books at the same time & read at least two chapter of the other four books--just to give you a heads-up. But I think it is all going to be fantastic. But then I am going to have to choose which one to keep going on.

Book4: Bygones
Book 5: Fair Game


Oh!! And a heads up--Karen, Mommy of Three, is giving away the very same books too. But she is doing it a little differently. So...go visit Karen, get her take on the books and double your chances!!! These books are just made for summer reading.

5 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

Yep, I'm interested in this one too. Please keep my name in that hat for the drawing. :)

Thanks!

mum2brady said...

Those sound like wonderful books - I've been looking for something fun to read.....

CoachJ said...

Ok, sign me up for this book, too.

annie said...

Looks good!

Dapoppins said...

I haven't read any of this writers books, but I quite like the idea of blending history with a mystery.