This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Friday, June 8, 2007

Favorite Ingredients Friday--Pesto Cheesecake

Shameless Book Giveaway Promotion Edition--Mary Alice's Pesto Cheesecake


I have to tell you when I read the name of the recipe in the press release promoting this book, I said, "Huh???" Because I am very eloquent like that.

I just couldn't wrap my cheesecake loving brain around a cheesecake that was not sweet and traditional.

But then I got the book, and I read the recipe and the light in my brain went on, and I said, "Ooooooooohhhhh." More demonstration of my extensive vocabulary.

But now that I get it, I am just waiting for a chance to try this out. I have a get-together coming up with five of my oldest friends and I think that will be appropriate given this was served to the group of friends in this book.

So without more babbling...the recipe:

Mary Alice's Pesto Cheesecake (from Crime & Clutter by Cyndy Salzmann)
1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 large eggs
1/2 cup prepared pesto
paprika and basil (to sprinkle on top)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Rub 1 tablespoon butter over bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.

3. Mix bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons grated cheese. Coat pan with crumb mixture.

4. Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, ricotta, remaining Parmesan, salt and cayenne pepper in large bowl until light. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

5. Transfer half the mixture to medium bowl. Mix pesto into remaining half.

6 Pour pesto mixture into prepared pan. Smooth top. Carefully spoon plain mixture over pesto mixture, and smooth top. Sprinkle to of plain mixture with paprika and basil.

7 Bake until center no longer moves when pan is shaken, about 60 minutes.

8 Transfer to rack. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate.

9. To remove from pan for serving, run a small sharp knifearound sides to loosen cheesecake. Release pan sides.

10. Transfer to platter. Serve with crackers.

The book is one of set of five that is being given away. The winner will be drawn Sunday and hopefully listed Sunday night at the latest early Monday morning. Check here for the rules and specifices .

Many thanks to Overwhelmed With Joy for being the gracious hostess of Favorite Ingredient Fridays. There are so many neat recipes to be found at her site (and at all the sites of the ladies who are participating) so, go! Visit! Cook fun and tasty things!!

9 comments:

Renee's Ramblings said...

Great marketing!

Joyful Days said...

Yeah...I'm kind of shameless. ;0)

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I love cheesecake! Thanks! By the way, I thought the same thing when I saw the title, but it sounds better once you read the recipe!

KELLY said...

This sounds like a great appetizer. Thanks for sharing.

Barbara H. said...

I've seen that book mentioned on a few blogs. It sounds really good!

Magi said...

I love savory cheesecakes. Thanks for the recipe.

annie said...

Sounds delicious!

A Juggling Mum said...

I read the title and thought, ewwww!!!! But having read the ingredients it doesn't sound half bad :)

Rachel xxx

Overwhelmed! said...

I can be shameless too (I often plug FIF on my WFMW posts). :)

Thanks for sharing the cheesecake recipe. It's a unique one, I think.

Now, I have to go check out your book giveaway again. :)