This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Grains of Gratitude

This is my eighth week of participating in Grains of Gratitude. I am grateful to Christine for starting this. It has given me the opportunity to start the week out with an attitude of thankfulness and looking forward.

I am grateful that perception is not always reality. Especially my perceptions. Sometimes I tend to be a “half empty” kind of person. God is a “full and overflowing Father.” Even when I perceive things incorrectly, He remains, giving abundantly and passionately. It usually takes less than 24 hours to readjust my attitude, but the reality of God’s goodness it there—whether I acknowledge it or not.

I am grateful for the twenty-something year old young man who is teaching my boys PE class. He is amazingly patient and very organized and given my boys a chance to have an opportunity that cannot be created with a creaking mommy (me) and two little boys, no matter how energetic.

I am grateful for the lovely young woman who is teaching the drama class my boys are also taking. She is creative and gentle and thoughtful. She, too, provides a setting that I could not, no matter how I tried.

And I am grateful to the other homeschooling parents and children who participate in the group we meet with. It is a wonderful thing for me to look around and see so many other families who are on parallel paths as ours, unique, but with similar goals. It is a little lonely sometimes. A couple weeks ago, during one of the boys activities, I spent a half hour or so talking with an engaging, older boy. He asked if I minded if he worked on his project near me. (It wasn’t a quiet project.) I didn’t and he immediately shared his goal for the project and walked through the process with me. He was funny and articulate and I was just impressed with his maturity and insight. I was grateful for his company and a glimpse of someone my boys might be growing up to be like. I am grateful that I live where homeschooling is an option for my family. We have been blessed by the journey.

What are you grateful for?

Grains of Gratitude was started by Christine at Brady’s Bunch.

4 comments:

SusieJ said...

I love your grains of gratitude. I really think we do underestimate the power of being thankful. Thank you for your comments on my post about love -- so hard to put into words without looking so cold hearted.

mum2brady said...

Wonderful post! Love it! I think Homeschooling is amazing, and may someday do it with Brady, as I don't think the school district will ever really "get" him and see him for who he is, that they will only take into account his "disability" instead of his "ability". You have some wonderful insights :)

Thanks for your comments and for joining in :) You always bring a smile to my face :)

Hugs!!!

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hi joyful: thank you for sharing another great grateful for post. i feel peaceful reading your words of gratitude.

today i am thankful for two really adorable, priceless, and sweet primary kid moments at church. even if i am feeling a little down sometimes, kid moments like these just make my day -- and make it so much brighter. the little ones can teach us so much about just how to be in life. i am grateful that i get to be a primary teacher in my present calling.

thanks for the grateful fors today. i'm glad you do this.

all things good to you and your boys this day :) kathleen :)

Bss said...

I am grateful that I can homeschool where we live. I am also grateful for the Christian women that God has put in my path to encourage me.