Thursday, January 24, 2008
I like words, odd words, fun words, words that catch your attention. So for today I present:
Thirteen good words to know
1. Tintinnabulation: the ringing sound of bells (One of my favorites! My son likes this one too.)
2. Gnomon: 1. The raised arm of a sundial that indicates the time of day by its shadow. 2. The remaining part of a parallelogram after a similar smaller parallelogram has been taken away from one of the corners.
3. Omphaloskepsis: the contemplations of one’s navel. (Synonym for blogging??)
4. Roborant: restoring strength or vigor; also, a restorative.
5. Arriviste: an upstart.
6. Autochthonous: indigenous; native.
7. Abecedarian: pertaining to the alphabet; also, rudimentary; also, a beginner.
8. Zanjero: one who is in charge of water distribution.
9. Pilgarlic: a bald-headed person. (Things that make you go, "Hmmmm...:
10. Hirsutulous: Minutely hirsute. (Would Extrahirsute mean the opposite? Just kidding.)
11. Verbigeration: Obsessive repetition of meaningless words and phrases. (Would this mean ME?)
12.. Vomitorium: A passageway to the rows of seats in a theater. (Really???)
13. Triskaidekaphobia: fear of the number 13. (Thought that was appropriate!!)
THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE THURSDAY THIRTEEN:
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. What do you do? Write Thirteen things about yourself, summarize your week in one entry, make it easy for other bloggers to get to know you on a weekly basis. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!