This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thursday Thirteen


I like words, odd words, fun words, words that catch your attention. So for today I present:

Thirteen good words to know

1. Tintinnabulation: the ringing sound of bells (One of my favorites! My son likes this one too.)

2. Gnomon: 1. The raised arm of a sundial that indicates the time of day by its shadow. 2. The remaining part of a parallelogram after a similar smaller parallelogram has been taken away from one of the corners.

3. Omphaloskepsis: the contemplations of one’s navel. (Synonym for blogging??)

4. Roborant: restoring strength or vigor; also, a restorative.

5. Arriviste: an upstart.

6. Autochthonous: indigenous; native.

7. Abecedarian: pertaining to the alphabet; also, rudimentary; also, a beginner.

8. Zanjero: one who is in charge of water distribution.

9. Pilgarlic: a bald-headed person. (Things that make you go, "Hmmmm...:

10. Hirsutulous: Minutely hirsute. (Would Extrahirsute mean the opposite? Just kidding.)

11. Verbigeration: Obsessive repetition of meaningless words and phrases. (Would this mean ME?)

12.. Vomitorium: A passageway to the rows of seats in a theater. (Really???)

13. Triskaidekaphobia: fear of the number 13. (Thought that was appropriate!!)

THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE THURSDAY THIRTEEN:
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. What do you do? Write Thirteen things about yourself, summarize your week in one entry, make it easy for other bloggers to get to know you on a weekly basis. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!

21 comments:

MondaythroughSunday said...

Got to love words! Expanding my vocabulary! www.loopdeloops.blogspot.com, always does a word every Wednesday..always interesting!

Lori said...

I have one thing to say...huh???lol..and how do you pronouce them. Oops, I guess thats two things. Great list:) Happy TT and thanks for stopping by.

Greatfullivin said...

Very Interesting list! As my dad would say theres some fifty centers there. I did know #13 but that is the only one. Thanks for stopping by! Have a grand TT.

J. said...

I LOVE this list. I can't get enough of Tintinnabulation. It makes me smile. :-)

Alice - I Was Born2Cree8 said...

Great idea to use words. I would have enjoyed seeing the pronunciations for each as I can't say many of them, lol. Very good job for Thursday 13.

Nicholas said...

I believe that #12 is so called because in the Roman arenas they made the passageways between the spectators' seats wide enough to be able to get everyone out in a hurry if need be.

Reba @ Reba's Run said...

Great T13 post... tho 8 is wrong. My hooman Mom is the one who is in charge of water distribution. Arf, arf, arf. She waters me and the cat and all the other critters... and all the plants too.

grace said...

From one quick look, I though vomitorium is a place where people throw up! :-)

Nice list, happy TT.

Lilibeth said...

Maybe they do. ..or did in ancient Rome. I know I'd lose it in a hurry watching all those gladiators. I like arriviste and roborant.

Carey said...

I can honestly say I have never heard of any of these words! Great list!

fullbodytransplant said...

You just gave my class their vocabulary list for the day!

Thanks.

Nissa said...

Wow! Those are fabulous! I thought my vocabulary was pretty well stocked, but Triskaidekaphobia is the only one on your list I knew! (I thought vomitorium meant a nasty place that makes you want to hurl..)
Thanks for the schooling & Happy TT!

Sandy Carlson said...

Interesting one. I wonder if the word for bald-headed is onomatopoeic, suggesting that baldies look like garlic pills!

Alasandra said...

The only one I knew was #12.

Thanks for visiting my TT.

Lara Angelina said...

This was great! Have you heard of Word of the day you can get online everyday? Some of those are winners too!
Happy TT!

Sandy C. said...

Vomitorium & Triskaidekaphobia- wow! I had no idea....and I would have never guessed their meaning. Cool list :)

tundratantrum said...

Hahaha...these are great. I should strive to use them in my everyday life, lol. It would be 13 Ways to Alienate the People Around Me. This week I have 13 Ways To Know Your An Alaskan.

Cindy Swanson said...

Fascinating! I'll probably never remember them...and I'm even married to a pilgarlic!

Cricket's Hearth said...

Wow, that list sure adds a challenge to learning a new word each day! Great list.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you will return and submit a recipe in my National Soup Month contest. There is a great prize! Blessings, Cricket

Sonya said...

Love the words! Especially the last one! LOL! What a hoot!

freetofly said...

Julie, you have the hands down BEST Thursday Thirteens! This was so much fun! Even IF I can't pronounce most of them! LOL! It is good to "reach" BEYOND our comfort zones! My vocabulary thanks you! :)

P.S. I have something for you at my place! :)