This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every moring: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion saith my soul: therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3: 21-26

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Finishing the Spring Reading Thing

Spring Reading Thing Final Post & Recap

Well, we are at the grand finale of Katrina of Callapidder Days Spring Reading Thing. Time for a look back and a look forward.

I had nine fiction and eight non-fiction books on the list—seventeen books!!! I think that was ambitious. Of those I read six of the fiction and two of the non-fiction and I have two of the non-fiction books started. So eight done, two in progress. Doesn’t sound too impressive unless you know that I kind of got distracted…and read nine other books not on the list—six fiction and three non-fiction.

So I read seventeen books!! And am working on two more. So that counts…sort of…maybe???

Fiction on the list: The Princeling and The Oak Apple by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton , The Crossing Places by Kevin Crossley-Holland, The Ill-Earth War by Stephen R. Donaldson, The Jesus Incident by Frank Herbert, Eragon by Christopher Paolini, The Forest House by Marion Bradley-Zimmer,

Non-Fiction on the list: Healing ADD by Daniel G. Amen, M.D., The Unprocessed Child by Valerie Fitzenreiter, In His Steps by Charles Sheldon, Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence, Spiritual Direction by Henri Nouwen, Scattered by Gabor Mate, Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Eastern Orthodox Theology by Daniel B. Clendenin,

Books read not on the list: Searching for Mary Poppins by Susan Davis and Gina Hyams, editors, The Open Door—Entering the Sanctuary of Icons and Prayer by Frederica Mathewes-Green, The Hurried Child—Growing Up to Fast Too Soon by David Elkind, Ph.D., The Black Pearl, The Long Shadow, The Chevalier and The Maiden by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles, The Virgin’s Lover by Philippa Gregory, Physik by Angie Sage.

So Katrina is asking for some insight in our wrap up post. She says, “Basically, I'd like your recap post to be just that -- a post letting us all know how the Spring Reading Thing went for you. But because I'm sure everyone would like to know a bit more than "It went great," here are some questions for you to consider answering as part of your post:”

What was the best book you read this spring? I’d be hard pressed to decide that. I loved Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and have her second in the series Fly in Amber waiting to be read. But the Morland Dynasty series by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles has totally won my heart. The Princeling and The Oak Apple were on my list and since reading those I have finished four more in the series. Did I mention that there are 29 books in the series??!!!!

For non-fiction, Spiritual Direction by Henri Nouwen I am in the middle of it. I have checked it out from the library and have come to the conclusion this is an interactive book and I want to buy it before I go on. Some books you just need to be able to mark in.
Healing ADD by Daniel G. Amen, M.D. was a good book and gave me lots of food for thought.

What book could you have done without? Well…apparently Practicing the Presence of God. I never finished it. I have struggled with it. And I think it is time to cry, “Uncle.”

Did you try out a new author this spring? If so, which one, and will you be reading that author again? Diana Gabaldon was new to me and yes I will read more of her work. Edith Wharton was an author I had not read any of her books and I will be putting some of her others on my list.

If there were books you didn't finish, tell us why. Did you run out of time? Realize those books weren't worth it? I didn’t even open Eragon, The Jesus Incident or Forest House. I’ve read The Jesus Incident before and loved it, so there was time to do that later. I’ve read Marion Bradley-Zimmer before and she is a favorite of mine, I know I will get to Forest House at a later date. Eragon—I want to read and we own it, I may be dragging my feet a bit because when I hit a series I often like to read it all the way through. The final book, Empire is in the works so I may wait until then.

I got started in Scattered by Gabor Mate and, well, (furious blushing) got distracted. If the first few chapters are any indication of the rest of the book this will be a good read.

Did you come across a book or two on other participants' lists that you're planning to add to your own to-be-read pile? Which ones? Ummm…I got a little greedy as evidenced here and here.

What did you learn -- about anything -- through this challenge? Maybe you learned something about yourself or your reading style, maybe you learned not to pick so many nonfiction books for a challenge, maybe you learned something from a book you read. Whatever it is, share! I learned I am terrible at setting limits for myself. I was really amazed when it got put in black and white, just how distractible that I am. I think the challenge forced me to follow through and that was a good thing. I enjoyed reading other’s reviews. It was fun to visit so many sites.

I read one ADD book and started another. So I feel like I learned about that. The ADD/ADHD topic comes up at my house on a regular basis, not just regarding children but also adults. Healing ADD and the beginning of Scattered have made me take a serious look at myself as well as my family. I hate to get in a self-diagnosing situation, but to not be self-aware, to be in denial about things is not a good thing. We won’t be running to any doctor soon for a formal diagnosis, but information can be liberating and if handled properly can help in decision making.

What was the best part of the Spring Reading Thing? Goal setting was definitely a great thing. Knowing that I was joining bloggers from around the world to read—one of my favorite pastimes was very cool.

Would you be interested in participating in another reading challenge this fall? I’m there!! Katrina writes here about the need for taking some time off and I totally understand that. Actually Spring and Fall work really well for me. During the summer I will read, but definitely want to have free time to hang out in the pool and play with the boys and do some other things. Winter is a bit stressful around here, so adding a “challenge” might not be in my best interest.

Any other thoughts, impressions, or comments. It is amazing and inspiring to see how popular reading still is. I hear how television is consuming everyone’s free time and this kind of restores my faith that maybe I am not alone with my preference for reading.

Visit the other participants of Katrina's Spring Reading Thing .

7 comments:

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

This is a funny wrap-up!! I hear you about there not being enough time in the world to read all the books! Ah, well. We'll do what we can, right?

Katrina said...

Love your wrap-up. And hey - you read 17 books, and I say that definitely counts! I'm just like you when it comes to Eragon. It's sitting here in our house, my husband has read it (and book 2), but I just haven't picked it up yet. One of these days...

Barbara H. said...

Reading 17 books is great!! Some interesting-sounding titles there.

Jenny in Ca said...

good wrap up! You did get through alot of books! I do the same thing, read lots of books not on my list- mostly fiction...

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

There are so many books on your list that I haven't read! Thanks for helping add a few more books to my list. Have a great day!

Lisa writes... said...

Interesting choices--great review!

Shalee said...

Well, you've convinced me to start the Morland Dynasty series (and I love Wharton. She's such an eloquent, yet readable author!)